1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

apps in background

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by OptimusM, Dec 29, 2011.

1. OptimusM

OptimusM Lurker

So when i use advanced task killer widget it kills about 10 apps. after lets say 20 min on standby, when I use it again it kills about 10 apps again. I know that this is common and that they drain battery, but my question is how much Do they drain? is it even noticeable.

Those of you who have installed custom rom, who dont have this problem Do you notice any difference with battery life?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Actually, the task killer is causing the battery drain in that situation. Those apps that start again are apps that should run in the background because they are connected to core processes, or the force kill made Android think they crashed, so Android runs them again using up battery. Just uninstall the task killer, and read the linked article. In an Android phone, unused RAM is wasted RAM. High RAM usage should just be generally ignored.

4. OptimusM

OptimusM Lurker

I didn't know that. Thanks for the link, very useful information. I'll uninstall task killer and install watchdog instead :)

5. slayde

slayde Lurker

This article is very convincing, thanks. By the way, I had a couple queries. Now that I have uninstalled the task killer, I have noticed that out of the available 458 mb ram on my phone, it sometimes uses up to even 435mb. This should not be a cause for any worries right?
    And if I use that in-built clear memory button to free some ram, that would close any critical app would it? (considering that the button is integrated into the android system by the developers, and going by the logic given in the article.)

6. valorian

valorian Android Expert

RAM in your phone is the same as RAM in your computer, it's there to be used. I would be concerned if my phone or computer didn't use that much RAM.

7. OptimusM

OptimusM Lurker

I have a question about watchdog.cpu usage by watchdog seems to be between 4-8%. Is tthis only wjen i have the app Open? Does cpu usage go down when i press the Home button? That is, Does it go back to a background app instead of a foreground app?