1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Apps in SD card taking Internal Memory space

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Damagon, May 6, 2012.

1. Damagon

Damagon Lurker
    None

May 6, 2012
    My patience is running out with my Wilfire S , and any help would be appreciated. I've seen some people mention this problem before but no one has addressed it.

After having that common problem of a full internal memory (which my phone never ceases to remind me about) I cleared the caches and moved everything my phone would let me to my 8gb SD card. I even did the sdk-tools trick, though it didn't really do anything for me. At the end I'd still have about 7 Mb of free space. Not enough to download the latest update (mind you) and my phone insists I still need to move more apps to my card while kindly reminding me at the same time that there's nothing to move !!

So out of frustration I started deleting apps installed in my SD and just like that my internal memory began to free up. :thinking:

And it wasn't just coincidence , I deleted three apps sized: 1MB, 3MB , 4MB; and I saw the internal memory change from 7 to 8, to 11, and now it's at 15MB of free space...

Now of course with that slight extra space my phone has finally allowed me to get it updated (to 2.3.5) , but the problem is still there. Only if I delete what's on the SD card the internal memory will clear. Ridiculous.:mad:

Advertisement

2. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member
    None

I have wildfire s. Only good soluton is rooting the phone. That gives you more options clearing up memory. If you don't want to root you can clear up memory by going to setup, applications, manage applications, click on them and clear up cache and data. But remember that when you clear up data you will lose any custom and saved settings for the apps

3. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member
    None

There are apps on the Google play that can help clear space. One is link2sd. I don't remember if it requires root to install but for a stock phone it can be useful in clearing the apps cache. Yet another option to clear up memory is uninstalling updates on apps you don't use and turn off automatic updates on Google play so it doesn't reinstall them

4. Caro332

Caro332 Android Expert
    None

Feb 22, 2012
    Link2SD will require root.
    Worst case scenario, factory reset. But yes it does suck. You would lose everything. It would be like a brand new phone.

5. Hexx

Hexx Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Java and .Net Developer
    Part of the problem is, that whilst you can install most apps on to an SD card, unless you root your phone the Dalvik cache will always reside on internal memory. The Dalvik cache is where Android stores optimised versions of apps - so even though you may have shifted say a 5MB app on to the SD card, a 3MB version may still be sitting in the cache. If you download the excellent app Disk Usage you can see where all this space is going.