1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General Apps keep closing/crashing - help please!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by zpants, Jan 22, 2010.

1. zpants

zpants Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I have read a number of the posts on this board and tried to condition my new phone for best battery life, etc. and haven't added many apps yet. However a few of them keep crashing ALL the time and it's really annoying. Particularly Google Talk and Gmail, the native apps that I didn't install. I will open them up, press one button (on an email or a name) and then it will just close back to the home screen. It will do this five or six times in a row before it lets me use the app. I have been using task panel but have both apps on the "ignore" list so I don't think that should make a difference, and come to think of it it did that before I installed task panel. The phone is literally three days old.

Help please!

Thanks a lot,
    Laura

Advertisement

2. dawnstacie

dawnstacie Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    I had this same problem. You have to do a factory reset. My phone works perfect now!

3. zpants

zpants Member

Jan 22, 2010
    well that's a bit of a bummer (since my last ERIS died and i've already lost all my settings once).

how do I do that? and is there a way to back up my settings and things first?

4. dawnstacie

Nov 10, 2009
    Your contacts should all be backed up in google. My contacts came right back and they were even synced with facebook. I would write down all your apps, I lost mine, but it took 5 mins to bring them all back.

Settings//security///data factory reset

5. ludist210

ludist210 Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Male
    Grad School Student
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Welcome to the forums, Laura! Sorry to hear about your phone.

Be careful with the factory reset: my phone would not make or receive calls or texts when I did that. I had to sit on the phone with Verizon (using my wife's Eris) for an hour to get my settings fixed.

Menu > Settings > Security > Factory Data Reset

This may be the best way to do it (I did it differently, probably why I had problems). Back up all of your contacts (if you have a Gmail account, it should have been done for you...just check your Gmail account on a computer first). If that doesn't work, well...do you have a Verizon store nearby?

6. dawnstacie

Nov 10, 2009
    After you do this, it asks you to call a verizon number to re-activate it. Follow those steps, too.

7. zpants

zpants Member

Jan 22, 2010
    will this wipe my SD card too?

8. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    No, the factor reset will only effect the phone. Your SD card will be fine.

9. zpants

zpants Member

Jan 22, 2010
    ok done - so far so good! thanks everyone :)