1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps keep on restarting constantly after killing them ...

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by LexG, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You can have control over permissions, but you'll need to root to get it.
    You can also firewall apps if you are concerned about privacy, but again you'll need root to get an effective firewall.
    There are also apps which can be used to control automatic start behaviour. Guess whether those also need root? You got it! And of course there can be good reasons for apps to restart, so stopping this can have unexpected effects.

I do the first two, not the third.

As Crashdamage says, many of those apps are not actually running, just cached. The priorities for caching are influenced by your app usage. Others will be running services, e.g. to ensure you know when mail arrives or app updates are released. If you have an app that is doing nothing useful but keeps actually waking and running, disable or uninstall it and find a different app.

My top tip though is that if I'm not happy with the permissions an app has, particularly if they seem excessive for what it does, I don't install it in the first place. And if it's a system app, I disable or uninstall it (and of course I can uninstall it because my phone is rooted, and I have a good enough idea what I'm doing that I know what I can uninstall without breaking other stuff and how to fix it if I make a mistake - if you want to do these things, do your research before charging in ;)).

Advertisement

Crashdamage, funkylogik and mikedt like this.
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Yeh, start by uninstalling that snake oil adware/spyware task killer.

funkylogik likes this.
  3. skyjoshin

skyjoshin Lurker
    None

Jan 9, 2017
    Male
    I'm with the control freaks. Facebook is running all the time. Checking for updates. Listening for that forward that I DONT WANT at all. Why can't I just go on manually and check when I want to? I like having it there as a single button I can push, as opposed to having to open a browser, go to the website and sign in each time. I swear I remember there being an option to turn off notifications previously. But not anymore. I don't really want to uninstall things. Ultimately the user SHOULD be able to turn things off. If you miss an important message well then you'll eventual learn to monitor it more closely. Just like with everything else. Fine for some folks social media and such are the center of their world. But why can't we decide how much help we need monitoring such things?
    I'm seriously considering uninstalling Facebook and some of the others. If that's the only option. I am dis-app-pointed

Hadron likes this.
  4. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Because that's not how FB want their app to work. Their users don't matter.

If you dig into the app's settings you can limit notifications etc to some extent, but the days of allowing manual syncing are long gone. Look at alternative clients to the official FB app, or do what I'm currently doing and seriously reevaluating FB's value to me.

Hadron and lunatic59 like this.
  5. Oxyballids

Oxyballids Lurker
    None

Jun 26, 2010
    OK then,

The better question is how in the world am I am able to save my battery? No matter what I do my phone just is ABSOLUTELY ALWAYS DRAIN ING BATTERY! Even when it is on a charger and appears to be charging (especially in the car) the phone is actually decharging and eventually dies on me! As it is doing right now as u write this (it started out @ 97 or so % and is now currently at 83%). The absolut only way to get this phone to charge (especially in the car) is by either having it completely off or on "ultra power saving mode" & don't use it at all! However, either way though it still is an extremely slow charge & takes absolutely the longest time. It does not matter what chargers or batteries I use including all the rapid fast and supposedly best chargers I can buy, I still only once ever got the fast rapid charge! I want to root my phone and see if that will help at all but I am afraid I will damage or ru in it in the process. I need help! Someone please tell me what to do! Thanks.

Oxyballids

6. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

What phone do you have? How old is the battery? Is the battery removable?

... Thom

7. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If it is like that when using a wall charger (rather than USB or car chargers, which provide very little currwnt) then that's not just a matter of apps running normally on the background. You've either got something pathological running flat out all the time or a faulty phone, and if it only charges very slowly when turned off it's not an app.

Of course if you only use USB sockets or car chargers it will be slow. And it's worth trying a different wall charger or cable just to be sure that you don't have a broken charger or a bad cable (doesn't matter if they a new, check anyway).