• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps like Truecaller needful?

Youmail....
But I see it's not on the list.
I do not have one yet, so it is good to know.

Necessary? Well in a decade of using Android I've never installed one, so my answer is of course "no". But my needs may be different from yours, so I can't really answer that first question.
Well, I just read about some good sounding features (I do not know of if I really "need" them), so that is why I asked. But may be there are more issues than advantages with such an app.

Upvote 0
Truecaller does pull in your phone number and contact info into its databases so it can provide the blocking services it provides. A lot of those same alternatives have to do the same thing. Truecaller did get hacked into and their database data compromised, so that's a notable ding on their record. But there are very few, if any, online services that can claim they haven't had problems securing their servers.
A big problem in today's Internet is so many people are paranoid about their online privacy so they're very reactionary to any and all such revelations. They expect the same level of service and benefits, but without having to divulge any information about themselves to make those services actually work. Add in the corporate greed factor, (Facebook being a good example) and this only muddies the situation as a lot of people then mistakenly assume all data mining is bad, basically just making prejudiced accusations at any service accumulating data whether it's to provide a useful service or just to make profits.

Upvote 0
That's an old article from 2018.
Sorry, what does that mean? So there are no issues, drawbacks anymore today?

I've used True Caller, Hiya, Mr. Number, the built in blocker in the dialer/contacts app, Vlad's 2 callblocking apps.
And not drawbacks with them?

Youmail tops all of them. Like dannydet, my spam calls get blocked more than the apps above.
So it seems to be very reliable? Why are there so many spam calls?

Upvote 0
Sorry, what does that mean? So there are no issues, drawbacks anymore today?

And not drawbacks with them?

So it seems to be very reliable? Why are there so many spam calls?

That article shows some call blockers I've never heard of. That's what I was meaning by an old article. There are likely more recent articles.
As far as the ones I have tried, if they were as effective as Youmail, I would have stuck w/them and not moved on. They still had calls sneak through that should have been blocked. All of the ones I listed.
And none of them play a "This number has been disconnected" message to these spammers. Youmail does that.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
!0? That's a lot.

Between my phone and the wife's, we got between a dozen and 2 dozen spam calls a day. My phone's "prefix" (not area code) begins with 291. Since I am the only known number in my family that begins with 291, I've blocked calls with that prefix and now have a log with almost every conceivable number combination with that prefix. I guess spammers are THAT naive to think someone couldn't figure out this tactic...

Russ

Upvote 0
Didn't know spam calls obviously are such a big problem, never had have one. So it seems without such apps here using / having a mobile phone would be much more inconvenient respectively not (usefully) possible.

Is it common in special areas that there are so many spam calls per day and person? Or why is it like that?

Upvote 0
We're both on the "no call" list, but it makes no difference to these morons...
I guess, that is in the nature of spam.

If you live in the United States and Canada, spam calls are a daily occurrence that never ends
So obviously without using those programs you cannot sensefully use mobile phones, may be landline phones as well.

Upvote 0
Oh you can use mobile and landlines, but if you're constantly getting spam calls you have to have something in place to stop them. I've had my same number for a good 20 years, so it's been kicked around a lot to God who knows...
My wife has had her number for 4 or 5 years and gets maybe 1 or 2 spam calls a month.And that's why I use Youmail

Reactions: Xavier Black
Upvote 0
Between my phone and the wife's, we got between a dozen and 2 dozen spam calls a day. My phone's "prefix" (not area code) begins with 291. Since I am the only known number in my family that begins with 291, I've blocked calls with that prefix and now have a log with almost every conceivable number combination with that prefix. I guess spammers are THAT naive to think someone couldn't figure out this tactic...

Russ

How did you do the prefix???, I've tried and doesn't work in my youmail..I even tried different orders..and nothing..for example..my phone numbers starts with 832.721 then I input that prefix with the dots..without the dots..with a 1 ahead of the 8..and nothing has worked..so I had to get creative and employ truecaller..but it just works a few times..
The telemarketers and spammers love me!!!

Upvote 0
How did you do the prefix???, I've tried and doesn't work in my youmail..I even tried different orders..and nothing..for example..my phone numbers starts with 832.721 then I input that prefix with the dots..without the dots..with a 1 ahead of the 8..and nothing has worked..so I had to get creative and employ truecaller..but it just works a few times..
The telemarketers and spammers love me!!!

Here are screenshots of the blocking syntax and some of the numbers blocked...

Russ

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-03-20-16-52-27_resized.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-20-16-52-27_resized.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Screenshot_2020-03-20-16-52-38_resized.png
    Screenshot_2020-03-20-16-52-38_resized.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones