1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Apps mysteriously running

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by movrshakr, Feb 3, 2011.

1. movrshakr

movrshakr Member

I have Advanced Task Killer (ATK) app on my Captivate, and I look at it several times a day. It is not set to auto-close anything.

What I am seeing though is that numerous apps are running that I haven't opened! Things like ROM manager, ATT Navigator (I NEVER start that), Email (I have not set up any email on it), browser (when I haven't done any), Shopsavvy, Titanium Backup (when I haven't touched it), and many others.

I know this is happening because I will stop everything at night except Messaging and ATK itself. Wake up in the morning and other things are running!

It is like the phone is just randomly reaching out and starting things. Some of these can increase battery usage and data usage--and that I don't like.

Any ideas about this?

BTW, I really like the ATK app; just touch it, then the line for the app you want to stop. Bingo-gone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. sremick

sremick Android Expert

Many apps are set to auto-start when the phone boots, and will auto-respawn if killed. It's the way they're written. This is why killing these apps automatically can result in worse performance and battery life.

Your only option is to complain to the author, or not use the app.

3. movrshakr

movrshakr Member

Good gosh, the PC world's obnoxiousness has invaded the phone--as in: you install an app on your PC that you will use twice a year, and installation installs a service that autostarts and runs all the time.

Actually though, that may be part of this but is not the total story here because not always the same apps restart.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews