1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Apps not making good use of new display

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AllThingsPure, Nov 26, 2011.

1. AllThingsPure

AllThingsPure Well-Known Member
    None

I bought the Galaxy Note for its 1280x800 display. However, I am a bit disappointed that some apps have hardcoded font sizes and graphics and are not making proper use of the display. If an app just blows up its fonts and graphics accordingly to show the same quantity of information as a 800x480 phone, then it defeats the whole purpose. If a user is visually-impaired and needs a larger display, he shouldn't be getting such a display either.

The following stock apps are still not making proper use of the display, ie they make the phone just look look like Fisher-Price toys, and wasting tonnes of pixels:

Settings, Gmail, talk, Contacts.

Third party apps would be, example, GPS Essentials, most games with bitmap graphics eg Jewels.

Fortunately, many other apps do make good use of the large display. Some are: the stock SMS app, stock Email, Olivetree Biblereader, The Economist (except the cover image and index page).

I love apps that can display text down to 7x12 per character, and that's the key reason I bought the Note. I look forward to Google updating the remaining stock apps to make full use of the available pixels.

:)

Advertisement

2. Braxos

Braxos Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2011
    Germany
    mate wait abit.
    Every one atm is trying to make ICS to work on every Phone they can. So all apps/games are geting a update for ICS and Nexus, the note and the 1280*800 is second priority. till ICS is up and runing and till they made their minds to multi code apps for more then 1 resolution or till more then few resolution are out there see upcomming phones maky of them are on 720p resolution till now those ressolutions where rare on phones so there will be more apps comming suporting them !!

3. AllThingsPure

AllThingsPure Well-Known Member
    None

Well, ICS is supposedly the unifying OS for both tablets and cell phones. That is a wide range of display size! (Rumors say the iPad3 is 2056x1920 or something like that, and Android models will follow if not launch ahead.) So ICS apps have to be display size independent, and not make every user dumb down to a gigantic Fisher-Price toy.

4. theelo

theelo Newbie
    None

Nov 22, 2011
    Romania
    I agree with both of you, AllThingsPure and Braxos. It's a bit frustrating we have to wait for better graphics... oh well not this year.