• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps On SD Card Not Appearing Using LauncherPro

cubstuff

Aug 9, 2010
Rooted Motorola Droid 1 running UD8. Having trouble with my apps that are on the SD card not appearing using LauncherPro. Getting to be very frustrating. Appears that LauncherPro loads faster than the SD apps. I have been successful in "Restarting" LauncherPro in the "Setting, Preferences" tab. When LauncherPro restarts the apps are then their for use. This does not happen very often when I aas I go on. Very, very frustrating to have apps on Droid and not being able to use them. Any help will be appreciated. Ready to move on to something else if I cannot get a working runnaround. Thanks.

416157765_o.jpg

This is what the window with the SD card apps that do not work looks like.

416157774_o.jpg

This is the message I get when I try to use one of the SD card apps.

416157783_o.jpg

This is what it looks like when I go into "Menu, Applications" to look at my apps. Stays this way forever.

416157780_o.jpg

This is what it looks like when I try to move an app. Never changes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem as the OP. My SD card is VERY slow to load... much slower than LauncherPro boots. In fact, LauncherPro is up and booted before the little "SD card checking icon" has even disappeared from the notification bar after bootup. All my desktop icons show as generic icons for apps on the SD card, and I can't launch those programs.

I have an extreme case... a 32Gb SD card, 25Gb of music on it, and about 100 applications on the SD card. Making things worse, the media scanner runs at boot time, which most people don't realize. I have to wait about 2 minutes before I can restart LauncherPro and see all my icons. It spends much of that time filling my app drawer.

Cubstuff, like me, you may just have to get used to restarting LauncherPro a little while after a reboot. No, it shouldn't be that way, but when you come to accept it, it's not that big of a deal to perform that extra step. Neall

Upvote 0
That 25 GB of music is definitely slowing you down, as is the 100 apps on the SDCard.

I have 140+ apps installed, only 30 or so moved to the SDCard (plus Acrobat, Flash, and something else - forgot which - very large app) and maybe it's because I have so few music files (4 albums - I rely on Pandora for music) as to why I used to have the problem but not anymore.

Upvote 0
I have been able to restart LauncherPro a couple times and have the App icons appear and be accessible. This does not work every time. It if worked every time I would be OK with that, as I do not have to reboot very often. It does not work every time. I know that I cannot be the only one with this issue. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I have a similar issue and when to the Launcher Pro forums to report it as a bug as I think it was introduced in the last release.

I often have to restart LP to see icons of my apps on the SD card and access them. I have also had some odd widget issues - like Power Control Widget not updating status lights - and restarting LP solves it. This can even happen right after a reboot, despite LP having just theoretically restarted.

I never had these issues with LP until the recent release. I suggest you go complain on his forums so he knows about this bug.

Upvote 0
The non-updating of the Power Control Widget I have definietly seen since the last update- never before.

However, I have no issues with my Apps on the SDCard not showing. I used to, back several versions (a few months) ago, but now I do not at all. In fact, the problem seemed to disappear when I made the permanent move to FroYo.

Upvote 0
That 25 GB of music is definitely slowing you down, as is the 100 apps on the SDCard.

Well I bought the phone to USE, and as a frequent air flier, I need my on-board tunes :) I forgot to mention that I also have about 1/2 dozen movies on the SD media card, too. On the bright side, it's not difficult to disable the boot-up media scanner (except that it's necessary to re-enable it when adding music). This speeds up the boot process a bit.

I've moved MORE than the usually allowed number of apps to the SD card... using move2sd enabler (for root), and I think you can use titanium BU for this, too and I still struggle to maintain 30 Mb of free on-board storage.

I like LauncherPro, but its author, Fede, has focused on adding features and widgets (which i could care less about) instead of tweaking performance. I hear he's re-writing the entire app from scratch, without reference to the stock open-source code.

The lack of onboard storage is probably the original Droid's biggest pitfall. Problems resulting from this limitation manifest themselves all over the place. My girlfriend has a Droid 2 and none of these problems. I REFUSE to use a phone with MotoBlur, however. I hate it. If I can't get my next phone WITHOUT a Manufacturer's skin (Sense UI, MotoBlur,etc.), I'll switch to a different OS. Thankfully, Gingerbread is supposed to have a nicer "Google Experience UI" and I think they're trying to discourage manufacturers from skinning it. Neall

Upvote 0
Since you are like me, and refuse to use MotoBLAH, you might want to try the effects of performing this tweak: http://androidforums.com/droid-all-things-root/199290-amazing-droid-performance-increase.html and see if that helps any at all.

I have the issue noted here, and I am using Swapper 2 and to be honest, I still get the issue coming out of a reboot. Likely Swapper 2 cannot kick in fast enough - make the swap file - on a reboot to address this problem. In fact, I wonder of you could make the argument it might make it worse as Swapper 2 is actively trying to access the SD card and make a swap file, at the same time you are trying to load apps off the SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones