• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps randomly close and return me to home screen?

Hey everyone, I'm sort of new to this but I figured I'd give it a shot to see if anyone might have an answer.

This happens fairly frequently actually, but I'll be in an app (any app - it's not really particular) and sometimes it'll just randomly shut me out of it and return to the home screen. As it does this, the home button blinks and vibrates incessantly until I hold down on it - at which point it brings up a sort of mini-list of six apps (the last six apps I've opened, I suppose). Once I clear out of that list, then the phone resumes working normally.

I initially thought it had something to do with the memory and running too many apps at once, so I downloaded Advance Task Killer and run that occasionally...only to find the same problem occurring, sometimes RIGHT after I kill all the apps.

Has anyone else had this happen? Can anyone help me out? Thanks so much!

Before I learned that there is no need for a Task Killer I used ATK, the random behaviors I experienced were puzzling and difficult to diagnose. Then I uninstalled it and all those behaviors stopped. However that said, I've both read and had friends that have not been so lucky when uninstalling their ATK's. It appears that an uninstall doesnt' always completely remove all components. I have yet to identify just what it takes to insure a clean and complete uninstall.

Upvote 0
Bought my first Captivate, and exchanged it hoping to get one with working GPS. I've noticed that apps crash frequently on my 2nd Captivate (app closes and returns me to the home screen). I don't get the "flashing home button", but maybe because i'm running LauncherPro. I also noticed that the youtube widget's search button doesn't work if you had opened youtube before, but that's for another thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones