1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Apps randomly exiting while I'm typing

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Butterfingers1, May 13, 2020.

1. Butterfingers1

Hi! I've had my P30 for a few months now and this is an issue that I've had almost since the beginning. When I'm typing, the app I'm on would suddenly exit out. The app didn't crash, just closed out as if I pressed the home button. This happens very regularly, like 5-10 times a day. It has happened on WhatsApp, reddit, Messenger, basically any app where I need to type. I've switched from Swipe to Gboard and it's the same. As far as I can tell, there isn't a trigger word or phrase. Several times I noticed that it happened when I was typing really fast, so I slowed down my speed, which seems to reduce the frequency but not eliminate it altogether. What's the root of this issue? Anyone having the same problem? I never had this issue with my previous iPhones, and this is my first Android. Appreciate any input!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

The obvious cause would be just what you said it is "as if": touching the home button while typing, probably while hitting the space bar. Happening more often when you type faster (and hence likely less accurately) would support that hypothesis.

I've never had this myself, or seen complaints about it elsewhere, but that's my guess. Of course if you have Android 10 and are using the "gesture" navigation that's less likely, since it would require swiping up rather than just touching and so harder to trigger with an accidental touch.

You could try SwiftKey: in its settings there's an option to resize the keyboard which allow you to introduce some space between the keyboard and the navigation area. It would require retraining your muscle memory as they keys would be slightly higher up, but once that was done there would be less risk of accidental presses on the home button.

You'd not have had it on the iPhone because you were either using a swipe action for home rather than a button, or else a physical button that was well below the keyboard (depending on what model iPhone you had).

puppykickr and MoodyBlues like this.