1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Apps running unnecessarily wild after Froyo

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crt972, Feb 25, 2011.

1. crt972

crt972 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Law Enforcement
    Cleveland, OH
    Any other Captivate users who updated to Froyo notice many apps still running, even after killing the apps via Advanced Task Killer.

Advertisement

2. btswein

btswein Guest
    None
    Yup, mine keep coming back, it's killing my battery life. Whether I use the 'task manager,' ATK, etc. Part of it I think is the "push" notification that comes from that app that wasn't available in Eclair, but that's my theory.

3. steve6884

steve6884 Member
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    I have been noticing that tonight too. When I use ATK I am seeing apps running that I have never seen running before

4. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    ATK will only kill your battery faster. if you hold the home button youll have a task manager, i think, which is much better than any of those from the market

steelhead likes this.
  5. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    same here....but battery life seem to be the same

6. sluggo33

sluggo33 Lurker
    None

Aug 3, 2010
    I have noticed the same thing. Also, ATK shows more open apps that task manager.

7. SamsungCaptivated

SamsungCaptivated Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 25, 2010
    I'm actually the opposite... when I was running 2.1 I had ATK running in the background to kill tasks when the screen is blanked out. I also had to run Captivate Keep Alive to keep the phone "alive" from the random powering off issue. I've upgraded my phone to the official 2.2 release from Samsung, deleted ATK and disabled CKA. My battery lasts much longer now. Today, I've gone 13 hours since unplugging from the charger and the battery was at 75% remaining.

I haven't noticed any apps running wild more so than before. In fact, I just let 2.2 now manage the apps running and shutting down automatically. The upside for me is that now my Google Latitude position reporting is correct. Before with 2.1 my position in Latitude was off by several blocks (about 1/4 miles) but with 2.2 and ATK deleted, the position reporting is right on spot.

8. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    A task killer can't kill services. You have to manually stop them by going into Menu -> Settings -> Applications -> Running services

An app that also has an associated service might be restarted by that running service. And some apps just like to respawn... that's the way they're written. If you don't like that, email the author and/or uninstall them.

9. cordy74

cordy74 Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer
    Kentucky
    I noticed the same thing when I upgraded my Captivate to Froyo. Not so much the decreased battery life but the increased number of apps running. I've even noticed 2 instances of Maps running at the same time. I wouldn't have a problem with these things sitting there as long as they weren't eating up my data allotment.

Is there any way to better control exactly which apps are sending & receiving info from the internet? I don't want to shut off my mobile data completely because i still want to be able to get email notifications and notifications from a couple of other programs. Some of the others that are running seem impossible to stop. I noticed today that, without actually doing any surfing, my phone used up over 7MB of data. Since I'm only on the 200MB per month plan idle services would burn through all of that 200 before the end of the month.

I love some of the functionality of Froyo but Eclair didn't cause me to run the risk of going over on my data.

Any thoughts, ideas, etc?

10. VendingTech

VendingTech Lurker
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    Before froyo, I could go entire day using phone and data, about 15 hours and only use about 33% of battery. After froyo, first day at about 9 hours battery was down to 33% left. I thought I had installed a new app that was misbehaving. I did a factory wipe, and only installed pre-froyo apps. Next day went the whole day and battery was down only 15%. Thought it was fixed until today. Hardly used phone (only one call for about 2 min. and no data usage on my part) and battery was down to 5% left at end of day. ATK is showing less apps running now than before froyo, and I have to keep killing ATT hot spot, and Daily Briefing. I can kill them and they start back up right away. Also the Android task manager shows nothing under active apps, even when I start multiple apps. This is unacceptable. I left LG because of a P.O.S. windows phone I had that they would never update and bought this phone because all of my appliances I have are Samsung and they are wonderful. I love the form factor of the Captivate, but can't believe it took this long just to get an update that when released is already OUT OF DATE. Then to add insult to injury this OUT OF DATE update if FUBAR. At this rate, maybe Samsung will go the way of Palm. I can't stand Apple and their products but will give them credit on their update of the iPhone and the stability (left me get the taste of vomit out of my mouth). Samsung, FIX YOUR SOFTWARE.

11. seschub

seschub Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    I have noticed the same issue, and am taking the advice of Samsung Captivated above to give it a try. So far...does seem faster, and it's not difficult to get into the "Running Services" menu, just keep the settings app on your home screen.

12. seschub

seschub Lurker
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    I think Froyo just eats up more battery than the previous version did. I don't think it's the apps, I have closed them, and the battery is still drained quickly.