• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root apps taking up more space than necessary

Bswartz95

Android Expert
Dec 11, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
twitter.com
I noticed that my internal space was getting low, so i decided to clear some cache and data, however, I realized that some of my apps are actually taking up more space than they're supposed to use!?

For example, my NFL app is utilizing 6.78mb (should be 3.75mb), Google Maps is 7.36mb (should be 4.54mb), Facebook 3.72mb (should be 1.97mb).

Again, this isn't data or cache, just the size of the app being displayed much higher (nearly twice) than it should be. It's happening for a lot of my applications.

Anyone else experience this?

I'm running Aloysius v12 and have installed the zip file so all the Verizon apps are displayed in the market.

Thanks!

edit: On a side note, I was manually linking some of my phone contacts with Facebook via HTC Sense Facebook and noticed that some of my friends are listed 4 times (these are facebook profiles to choose from via HTC Sense FB)!! This doesn't hold true for all of my friends, but about the first 20 alphabetically. This is wasted space as well. Ugh.

Did you check those "should be" sizes in adb shell?

I believe it's:

#cd system
#cd app
#ls -l

No, I'm not familiar with all this "adb" talk I've seen. Haha. I just looked at what the apps are listed as in the market (and also what they were when I was running stock Sense 2.1).

edit: Maybe I'll try another ROM like Evil Eris or Sense-able and see if this happens. I've been on the fence about trying another one anyway. Just hate the tedious process of setting everything up again. :)

Upvote 0
On a related note, my wife was complaining yesterday that she got the "low space" error on her phone even though she only has 20 or so applications installed. (Note: She is not rooted and doesn't want to be.) Anyway, I looked at her application sizes, and none of them had a large cache that needed to be cleared, but I did notice that com.htc.socialnetwork.provider had 22MB of data! Sure enough, in the "updates" screen of the People app, you could scroll down through months and months of Facebook updates, and there's no way to clear them. Even removing and re-adding the Facebook for HTC Sense account doesn't clear that data. So we manually cleared the data, then removed and re-added the Facebook for HTC Sense account (since the token had to be reset in com.htc.socialnetwork.provider). Now she has free space again and her People app is running much more smoothly.

Upvote 0
kind of related questiuon. in amons ra recovery screen there is an option for "other"
click this and you get options for transferring apps and dalvik to sd card. clicked this and it started something, said it was moving tothe sd card. but after reboot, my internal memory was still same.

is this "other" selection always there or was it added after my many attempts at getting apps2sd working?

Upvote 0
On a related note, my wife was complaining yesterday that she got the "low space" error on her phone even though she only has 20 or so applications installed. (Note: She is not rooted and doesn't want to be.) Anyway, I looked at her application sizes, and none of them had a large cache that needed to be cleared, but I did notice that com.htc.socialnetwork.provider had 22MB of data! Sure enough, in the "updates" screen of the People app, you could scroll down through months and months of Facebook updates, and there's no way to clear them. Even removing and re-adding the Facebook for HTC Sense account doesn't clear that data. So we manually cleared the data, then removed and re-added the Facebook for HTC Sense account (since the token had to be reset in com.htc.socialnetwork.provider). Now she has free space again and her People app is running much more smoothly.

Facebook. :rolleyes:

Sorry.

Upvote 0

How did you manually clear the data? This would be a good tip to know. Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones