• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps that prevent phone from sleeping?

JackButler

Nov 29, 2009
As I continue to downlaod and try new apps, I notice that some of the permissions that some of them have are/is: "Prevent phone from sleeping".

I didn't think much about it, but after conditioning my phone...for a few days I was getting around 11% awake time, now after a few of these apps after a recharge this AM I am showing 26%...before the charge my awake time was very high again.

I always use Adavanced Task Killer after messing with the phone, 9/10 trials.

As I continue to downlaod and try new apps, I notice that some of the permissions that some of them have are/is: "Prevent phone from sleeping".

I didn't think much about it, but after conditioning my phone...for a few days I was getting around 11% awake time, now after a few of these apps after a recharge this AM I am showing 26%...before the charge my awake time was very high again.

I always use Adavanced Task Killer after messing with the phone, 9/10 trials.

ATK is one of those that's been reported to kill battery life.

Weather Bug was doing it on my phone.

Upvote 0
you have to leave an app running in order for it to kill battery life. Tell ATK to kill itself as well and then it can't have any effect on battery life. What kills the battery are apps that don't sleep. Some of the widgets are pretty bad about that. There are a lot of apps in the app market that are not really phone friendly. It would be really nice if the OS itself used the long press home to show running apps and allow you to kill them from there. Then you wouldn't need task killers. The PALM WebOS does this much better.

Upvote 0
you have to leave an app running in order for it to kill battery life. Tell ATK to kill itself as well and then it can't have any effect on battery life. What kills the battery are apps that don't sleep. Some of the widgets are pretty bad about that. There are a lot of apps in the app market that are not really phone friendly. It would be really nice if the OS itself used the long press home to show running apps and allow you to kill them from there. Then you wouldn't need task killers. The PALM WebOS does this much better.

just to enhance what he's saying about phone frendly apps. it's not that they are bad apps. but alot of the apps come from the G1 and have been designed for the G1 then abandoned when either the owner left the dev world or moved onto better things. take for example lock 2.0 is a G1 only specific app loading onto other phones is hit or miss. but works fine with the g1 thier are tons of other apps that fall into this G1 only catogory. so either bug the dev to get off his ass and fix his app or find a better one that fits your needs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones