1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Apps to SD card issues

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by kmwolf92, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kmwolf92

kmwolf92 Lurker

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Victory running Android 4.1.2. I'm sure this is out there somewhere, but frankly I'm tired of searching and messing around with apps.
    Basically, the all-too-common problem: I have a 16gig SD card. Only 11 of those GB are used [edit: actually, 11 free, 5ish used]. Of all things, I should NOT be having storage space issues, but it's something I fight constantly.
    I'm tired of clearing the cache on apps every few days and having to log back in to everything. I just want it all on the SD card so I can move on with my life and keep downloading apps. :)
    Further, since I got my new card, my phone is not cooperating with pictures. Every time I open the Gallery, it says I don't have enough space- even though the pictures are saved to the 16gig SD card with 11gigs of unused space. I know it's saving them because they show up in my Dropbox camera uploads folder, but I can't view any pictures on my phone without it prompting me to delete some anyways. (It's also "told" to save them to SD in the camera settings, but since when does a phone of mine do as it's "told?")
    I tried downloading this thing called "App Manager," but it hasn't worked well at all. From what I can tell, I have internal phone memory called "sdcard0," and my big SD card called "extSdCard." Obviously I want everything possible on the second one, as the first is only like 1.7 GB. Tried moving everything with the app, but it said it was sending it to sdcard0 and wouldn't let me change the location.
    Told it to move all the apps anyways and now have 56kb free space on that sdcard0. Pretty sure I had 144MB before. So...I'm borderline panic mode now. About to clear a bunch of caches just so I have breathing room for now.
    Is there a solution for this? Before trying the app, I tried moving just folders by plugging it into my computer USB and cutting/pasting, but that doesn't seem to have been successful as there was no real change in available memory.
    On my last phone, it had a "Move to SD" option. This doesn't seem to have it. I had assumed for a while it automatically installed them to SD and I was only getting errors because my 4gig card was out of space, but that should have stopped with this new card. I even uninstalled most of the apps when I got the new card and reinstalled to make sure they'd be on SD and not in the phone. Apparently it doesn't work like that.

In a nutshell, what's the best way to make all my apps that don't *need* to be on internal memory move to SD card?
    I'm also slightly open to this rooting thing; I don't know lots about the process, but it sounds like fun.

Thanks! I complain daily about my phone (as I have every phone I ever owned), but so far y'all have done alright in helping me work with this one. :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast

A most recent thread here at android forums that I posted my personally used suggestion for space management on devices that dont really move apps to the external sd card can be found here -

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/803093-question-regarding-storage.html

You will need root for it, more advice on that can be found by trying to locate your device specific section here at android forums.

3. kmwolf92

kmwolf92 Lurker

Thanks!
    I rooted my phone this afternoon (using this/). Actually was easier than expected, although I made quite a few dumb mistakes that would force me to start over, but since I didn't brick it and now have several hundred Mb more space thanks to that FolderMount app, I'm happy. For now, anyways.
    Now to just see what else I can play with to make things run better. In general I'm cool with the factory version of the phone interface, but holy cow is it slow. Granted, no slower than any other phone I've had, but slow is slow and I don't like it.

4. If you're rooted you can use Link2SD. It requires you to partition the external SD, and you can then move non-system apps and their library files if any (but not their data files) to the second partition.

5. ujwalbro2006

ujwalbro2006 Newbie

Rooting is the best way to fix memory problem.

6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

Just remember the dangers of rooting your device. Read guides about it and make sure you really want to take the risk.

Back up everything

Good luck if you decide to take these steps.

7. PaulS

PaulS Android Enthusiast

Link2SD not only allows moving apps on a rooted phone but I use it to,"Freeze" apps that I don't use often but don't want to uninstall :pcguru: