• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps to SD hack - Anyone do it?

sconnelly

Sep 25, 2009
Has anyone successfully done the A2SD hack on their updated Magic (with Sense UI) yet?

Here are some links:
A2SD - android-roms - How To: Apps 2 SD - Project Hosting on Google Code
Apps2SD - CyanogenMod Wiki
New and improved Apps to SD(more stable, more powerful, etc) Tutorial - xda-developers
Apps2sd Auto Have Roms - Forums & Discussions

Is this possible with our updated ROM or must I flash a whole new ROM to obtain this important feature?

From what I understand, you need to have root to use apps2sd. I've never actually used it though as on my rooted dream cyanogenmod takes care of it automaticly as long as the SD is formated correctly.

The SD would have to be formated with a small 512mbps ext3 or ext4 partition and the remainder as fat32, a minimum of class4 SD is recomended with a class6 being prefered.

From what I understand this does have the possibility of reducing the life of the SD card, by how much I don't know. Because the magic doesn't have the memory limitations of the dream (dream only has 92mb available to user), it is not recommend unless your in the habit of collecting apps.

Upvote 0
From what I understand, you need to have root to use apps2sd. I've never actually used it though as on my rooted dream cyanogenmod takes care of it automaticly as long as the SD is formated correctly.

The SD would have to be formated with a small 512mbps ext3 or ext4 partition and the remainder as fat32, a minimum of class4 SD is recomended with a class6 being prefered.

From what I understand this does have the possibility of reducing the life of the SD card, by how much I don't know. Because the magic doesn't have the memory limitations of the dream (dream only has 92mb available to user), it is not recommend unless your in the habit of collecting apps.

I understand the mechanics of how it is done but I am wary about doing this with this latest update.

BTW, I use all 75 apps I have installed. :p

Yeah... okay I am a bit of an apps collector. But I will eventually have a need for every app. I installed.

Upvote 0
I understand the mechanics of how it is done but I am wary about doing this with this latest update.

BTW, I use all 75 apps I have installed. :p

Yeah... okay I am a bit of an apps collector. But I will eventually have a need for every app. I installed.

What GBD means is you can't use apps2sd on an updated Magic (no root yet)

BTW it's a must-have for Android phones.

You guys both applied the patch?

Upvote 0
What GBD means is you can't use apps2sd on an updated Magic (no root yet)

BTW it's a must-have for Android phones.

You guys both applied the patch?

I do understand that I must root first. That is why I asked. I haven't seen any info on rooting the updated Magic.

But GBD may not be correct about reducing the life of the uSD memory. After moving apps to the uSD, the operations should be mostly reading.

Unless of course, app caches are also located on the uSD memory. Does anyone know? If so, this would certainly reduce the life of the uSD [NAND flash] memory because it is limited to a finite number of write operations (about 150K per memory cell). That may seem like a lot of writes but that many writes could occur within a year for an app that requires a lot of write operations.

Can anyone shed some light on just how App2SD works?

Yes, I my Android is updated to the latest Sense UI.

Upvote 0
I do understand that I must root first. That is why I asked. I haven't seen any info on rooting the updated Magic.

But GBD may not be correct about reducing the life of the uSD memory. After moving apps to the uSD, the operations should be mostly reading.

Unless of course, app caches are also located on the uSD memory. Does anyone know? If so, this would certainly reduce the life of the uSD [NAND flash] memory because it is limited to a finite number of write operations (about 150K per memory cell). That may seem like a lot of writes but that many writes could occur within a year for an app that requires a lot of write operations.

Can anyone shed some light on just how App2SD works?

Yes, I my Android is updated to the latest Sense UI.

A2SD depends on how you set it up. The cache would stay on the internal phone memory, but you can make a linux-swap partition, which is like virtual memory on PCs. I don't really know how much data the memory can take, but it has to be more than that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones