1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Apps to test / utilize overclocking?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stephanos, May 8, 2012.

1. stephanos

stephanos Member
    None

Feb 3, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    I'm currently running g60's CM7 with the default clock speeds of 245 / 1028 MHz on Interactive. I would like to overclock just for fun, but the extent of my knowledge was OCing the Optimus V, which seems a bit less complex than the Triumph.

1) what apps or games should I install that can show off speeds above 1ghz?

2) what is the benefit of reducing the minimum speed to something below the default 245?

3) should I even bother with governors? I am content with the battery power I have now & what is remaining at the end of the day

Advertisement

2. Tokens210

Tokens210 Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2012
    Male
    General Contractor
    Clifton Heights, PA (Just Outside Philadelphia)

1. im not to sure about

2. there is another thread on here that discusses the min value able to be set, i cant remember what exactly it is, but people underclock as its called, so that when there phone is not running games, the processor will be running lower, technically eating less power then normal

3. im not super experienced with it, but the governor is what is actually controlling the OC i believe, i see alot of people i believe saying that on CM7 the interactive governor is better

u should also search on here a little bit for the minimum settings you can do, i know overclocking past 1.5GHz is not suggested and may damage your Processor, but also underclocking or undervolting to low can also be bad, damage the processor or cause bootloops/crashes

3. jarjar124

jarjar124 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2012
    NYC

1)well,more than 1ghz is to improve performance in multitasking as to how many things can run at once, so there is no app i believe to test ghz.
    2) benefit is that its possible to save power depending on governor.
    3) well i believe the default governor is interactive which i recommend not changing. u should set ur minimum to 61 ghz or 122ghz(i think) with interactive so when its asleep, it will use the lowest ghz while awake it will use watever to speed the phone up. i also recommend undervolting which can help with battery :) someone correct me if im wrong :p

Edit: ninja'd :p

4. Tokens210

Tokens210 Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2012
    Male
    General Contractor
    yes, ive also seen that undervolting while underclocked is suggested to massively save battery

but for me the risk of destroying my phone because of undervolting has kept me away, ive seen many warnings about it lol i just over/under clock if i feel the need

and lol on the ninja'd lol

5. jarjar124

jarjar124 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 2, 2012
    NYC
    well undervoltin wont harm the phone unless u massively undervolt. i always wondered how austrie managed to undervolt that much...it still surprises me :p u should use the table mantera had up on the ockernel thread to undervolt. thats perfectly safe.

6. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    It will save you some battery, but it isn't a massive amount. It's fairly negligible actually. I always had my phone at the stock clock settings (and voltages). You save a lot more battery using things (3g/wifi/whatever) smartly and turning things off when you don't need them.

7. Tokens210

Tokens210 Android Expert
    None

Apr 3, 2012
    Male
    General Contractor
    well its been awhile since i read the thread im talking about, but yea if mantera has a guide its probly a good bet to listen to it lol

but people i think if i recall correctly were having reboot issues, i believe it was that the phone slows itself down apon deep sleep mode and since people were undervolting and the undervolt ran constant, when the phone went into deep sleep and tried to slow itself it ended up starving the cpu for power causing the phone to reboot into defaults, but that was resolved if i racall correctly again by someone figuring out the lowest safe undervolt

typically i do just as agent says, i run cm7 reloaded, competely stock processor settings, no battery saver app or anything, and i dont even ever switch it to airplane mode to save battery and the best i get is just short of 3 days

8. dalem50

dalem50 Guest
    None
    1) There are numerous benchmark apps that you can download from Google Play. One of the most popular and reliable ones is AnTuTu benchmark.

2) Running at a low frequency, especially under 245Mhz, saves battery life. Power consumption can be modeled by P ~ f * V^2 (where f is frequency, V is voltage). Obviously, voltage is the most important factor, so theoretically by undervolting (something you should look into if you're interested in saving battery) the CPU should use much less power, thus saving the battery. However, as Tokens210 mentioned, undervolting too far can cause instability issues. Not all CPU dies are created equally, as the process in which they are created is imperfect. Although some voltage tables and frequencies may work for someone else, they may not work for you.

3) Governors can have a a somewhat significant impact on performance and battery life. I recommend Interactive.

As a side note, I've found that using JuiceDefender that turns off 3G and WiFi while they're not being used saves more battery than anything.

9. stephanos

stephanos Member
    None

Feb 3, 2012
    Ventura, CA
    Thank you guys!

When I said "recommend some apps / games" I meant any app that is intensive and might lag at the default 1024mhz, but would be more smooth with OC... not a benchmark app - but now that you mention it, I will try it any ways :eek:

10. dsmryder

dsmryder Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2011
    mechanic
    NE Florida
    1) I use StabilityTest, from the market. you could always look for benchmarking apps to see how your phone compares to others.

2) lower clock speed equals lower processor power consumption. I mention the processor because other factors eat at the battery. Like the screen, cell radio, wifi radio .....

3) Two of my favorite governors are interactive and on demand. They both use an idea that if the processor is too busy, then bump up. If it is not loaded, slow down. This is another battery saver. I like the simpler the better.

Your biggest savings will be in your usage. If you look here you can get a huge amount of tips. I just try to remember that it's like gas. use it wisely, but it's no use if you don't use it.

MTUser4520 likes this.