1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General apps using battery percentage after they are closed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by nexususer53, Jan 2, 2014.

1. nexususer53

nexususer53 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I just got a nexus 7 and I'm really enjoying it, I just have one problem I can't figure out. I am finding that some apps that I have installed continue to use a large amount of battery percentage long after I have closed them. I've had droid phones before, so I'm familiar with the OS. I close the apps in the multitasking, I've even forced stopped them, but they continue to use battery.
    Here's an example, I have the new "angry birds go" racing game (pretty fun actually). So after I have closed the game and force stopped it, it continues to used 20% of my battery. That's as much as the screen and tablet idle! I've tried turning the tablet off and back on, force stopping it again, and it WILL NOT stop using 20% of my battery. The only way to stop it has been to uninstall the app completely. As soon as I do that, it stops using the percentage. Then I reinstall it and until I open it again, it does not use any battery.
    What is going on with this app and a few others that continue to use such a large percent of my battery when they are closed? And what can I do about them? They are really effecting my battery performance. Oh, and I've downloaded a battery analyzing app and it doesn't even show that these apps are running. And I don't use task killers.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    The app may be opening a system app that it needs in order to run. That system app continues to run after you close the app you were running. It's like a Windows program leaving a dll in RAM after you close it.

argedion likes this.
  3. nexususer53

nexususer53 Lurker
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks for the response. So is this something I can stop or is it going to just run as long as the app is on the tablet? And why is it such a high percentage? I see other apps that may use 1 or 2 percent when they are closed, but not 20+ percent..

4. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    Cold boot the system and don't use the app in question for at least 24 hours while monitoring battery usage.

After 24 hours you will have a baseline to compare against.

Launch the app, then exit it once loaded and clear it from tasks but do not terminate it. Watch for 24 hours and compare your results.

If the app is loading into memory for adware like monitoring then it will use about the same power over both 24 hour periods.

If it only uses more power after fully launching than it may be burning up CPU cycles refreshing or loading its ad cache, running a network monitor at the same time may shed more light on what it is doing while idle.

Remember that you have to make considerations of how much screen on time the game is using while you play and why I suggest you just load it and then exit to see if its an app issue.