1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Apps vs. Widgets

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Walter White, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Walter White

Walter White Lurker

I am new to Android and I'm a little confused about downloading apps vs. widgets from the Android market. How can I search through widgets alone? After clicking "apps", I see the section titled "widgets" but I don't see a way to search solely through widgets. I use an Evo 4g if that matters.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert

Welcome to Android. I will try and answer your questions the best I know how. Bare with me as I explain.

Apps are basically programs that run on your phone OS. In this case your OS is Android. Widgets are a type of app that allows you to display updates for that app on your home screen. For example: I have the “Weatherbug Elite App.” (Which includes widgets.) I have placed on my home screen the next day forecast and radar maps widget. The widgets update on there own without me doing anything. So I can see at a glance, current weather and local radar. If I want to see more, I just click the widget and it takes me into the Weatherbug app.

Not all apps have a widget option and some apps are widgets only. (You can find this out by just checking the apps description.)

Question 1) In the Android market, I believe all the apps listed, under the widget tab, are either widgets only or apps that have the option to select it as a widget to place on your home screen. (Like my example above.) I don’t see an option to filter it down anymore.

3. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast

Mr white and Saul Goodman in the same thread ftmfw!

4. Walter White

Walter White Lurker

HAHAHA! This thread is an epic WIN! Not to mention the fact that you, Mr. Redcorn, are from my second favorite television show behind Breakind Bad!