1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Apps - where and why?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oldun, Sep 16, 2011.

1. oldun

oldun Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    St Neots, England
    I have a Samsung Galaxy S GT-I900 which has recently been rooted and unlocked an is now running the very latest version of Android (2.3.5).

I have started to reload all the apps that I had previously on the phone.

Going to the Android Market and then selecting "My Apps" I am presented with a list of Apps, many listed as installed and quite a few listed as purchased.

Am I right in believing that all these apps, installed and purchased, should be on my phone?

If this is so then there is some kind of problem. When I click on the Applications button I can view all my apps either by icon or by list and quite a few of the apps listed on Android market do not appear on my phone.

If I try to reinstall them I am told that they are downloading but they never arrive.

Any ideas what is wrong?

Another possibly related question is that om my phone they are 5 screens for displaying app icons. Now with 16 apps per screen that means I can display only 80 icons. What happens if I try to install more than 80 apps? Is this possible and if so will they appear under list view?

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Did you install a fresh OS on your handset or was it an official update from Samsung? Can you point me in the direction of the guide you followed please?

If you installed a custom ROM, it would have most likely wiped the phone before it installed, meaning all apps etc are gone.

oldun likes this.
  3. oldun

oldun Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    St Neots, England
    I used Odin and I9000XXVS.rar. Everything seems to be working OK apart from the apps problem, though the rooting and problem are probably not related.

After rooting I went to Android Market, via the app on the phone to, see what apps I had on it.

I then tried to download all the other apps I needed but. Many arrived OK but though it said they were downloading they did not arrive.

The Android Market list of "my apps" does not correspond with those that appear in the list of apps on my phone.

My queries are why are the list different and why do the apps not arrive on my phone?

Is there any way I can check up on the installed apps other than those under app icon at the foot of the phone.

4. oldun

oldun Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    St Neots, England
    I have now researched the problem further and I now realise that on the list of apps in the Android market I have been confusing some apps with almost the same name.

When I review the list of apps shown in the Android Market as being on my Galaxy I see that they are all there. The apps on my Galaxy and not shown on the Android Market list are those that were installed on the phone after I rooted it.

When I review the list of apps shown in the Android Market as being purchased by me I find that none of them are on the Galaxy.

When I click on any of the apps shown as purchased by me I get a screen with a box labelled Install. If I click on this button I get another screen telling what will be accessed by the apps and labelled OK. If I click on this I get a message telling me that the Your item will be downloaded but it never arrives.

Why does it invite me to download the app and yet it never arrives?

I have tried l tried downloading a fresh app never downloaded before and it arrives OK so it cannot be anything to do with the connection.

5. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Are you looking at the market on your phone or the web interface here?

Whilst they might not appear on the phone, all the apps you've downloaded are tied to the google account. they won't appear straight away after you've installed the new ROM as they'll need a while to sync with the handset.

If the apps aren't downloading, mount the phone as a disk drive to your PC, move the LOST.DIR and android_secure folders to your desktop. Delete them from the phone, reboot and try downloading them again. The apps should download then. Don't delete the folders from the PC if the apps don't download though.