1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps Apps which link with appliances

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by Cm1993, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Cm1993

Cm1993 Lurker
    None

Feb 11, 2014
    Hi everybody

For a project at University, I am in the process of designing a new item. Its basically a GPS tracker inside the insoles of shoes, which fits universally into all different types of shoes. It is aimed at older people with dementia and perhaps young children. Iv came up with the idea of an app, where the user can select a "safe zone" on their phone, and once that person goes out the safe zone they are notified via the app.

Does anyone know how I would go about doing this? I have never created an app before, even an insight into how the technology between an app and any appliance is done would be great!

Thanks

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    First you write the app - in English. What does it do? What does it do next? If A happens, what does it do as opposed to what it does if B happens. IOW, you write out the instructions for the entire app with somone who has an IQ of approximately 10. Take nothning, and I mean absolutely nothing, for granted.

Then you learn computer programming, Java (so you can code the app for Android) and some basic electrical engineering communications technology.

Or you just dive in and produce what 50% of the apps on the Play store are - amateurish attempts at building apps by people who have no idea of what they're doing,

3. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female
    None

Jun 13, 2011
    Female
    Annoying my X-Husband
    Hanover Park, IL
    Hi there!

I've moved your thread over to a more appropriate forum where other developers can better assist you, Application Development. ;)

Perhaps you can get with the devs of Life 360 (best app out there for keeping track of family members). I think your app would work very well as an addon with their app, and I bet you could even make a bit of cash from it.

There's even a few of the cell phone providers who offer their own type of app similar to Life 360... another place where you might be able to market your app, or at the very least the hardware.

If you can make the hardware's software work with all of their apps, that would be even better. That way the consumer doesn't have to have two separate apps.

Excellent idea!!!!!

4. Cm1993

Cm1993 Lurker
    None

Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks very much! I wont be actually designing the app at this stage, it was just to see some of the processes involved in designing a user friendly app! Thanks

5. Cm1993

Cm1993 Lurker
    None

Feb 11, 2014
    Thanks! I shall investigate further, as I have never heard of Life 360. Sounds like an interesting concept!