• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps & Widgets

If you have the widget for an app, what's the point of the app's icon itself being on your screen?

For example, I added the widget for K9 email on to my screen and the K9 app icon is also there. Seems like I don't need the K9 icon anymore but if I delete it that would also delete the app I assume.

I could just move it to another screen I suppose but not a very elegant solution. Is that what android users normally do?

Depends on what phone you use. For example, Huawei's Emotion UI has the apps and widgets on the same screen, but generally, the homescreens and apps are separate. For example, on my phone, there are only about 20 apps on 3 homescreens, but I have more than 100 installed. If you don't have a Huawei phone or is using a third party launcher, removing the shortcut from the homescreen DOES NOT uninstall the app.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
If you have a widget for an app, I don't think there's much point also having an icon so I would get rid of the icon.

Removing an icon from your home screen does NOT uninstall the app - it will still be available in the app 'drawer' and you could always replace the icon if you decided you didn't want to have the widget on screen.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones