1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps without using network access

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Lare, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Lare

Lare Member
    None

Greetings

Although I searched for it, I might not have stumbled across the right terms so please bear with me if everyone else already knows how to do this.

Let's say that my contract with Verizon runs out and I decide I really don't need a cell phone any more. Let's further stipulate that none of the apps on my phone require their network but that I still want to use them.

Question 1: Is this possible? Will my password manager, my guitar tuner, etc. still be functional? Seems they should as they run just fine in Airplane Mode.

Question 1a: Could I use my Google calendar just not be able to synch it to Google through Verizon? Would I be able to do so by using wi-fi?

Question 2: Without the cellular network would I still be able to download apps? Again, I can get to the market through wi-fi, but I don't know enough about the way the phone works to know if I'm only able to do that through the fact that I have an active Verizon account.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Since you have a verizon phone you can't really do this, but I can tell you that many apps run just fine on my phone when I remove the SIM card. Any apps that need internet access can use Wifi.

The only exceptions might be some of the pre-installed apps that Verizon forces to use 3G (e.g. I think the Verizon version of Skype does this).

Lare likes this.