• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Apps won't download

Firstly, I am new here, so apologies if this has been asked a million times and is a massive known issue or whatever. I had quite a good look but couldn't find any solutions.

Anyway, after having an iPhone for a long time, I upgraded my contract and got an HTC Desire today. So far I am loving it, however, one thing is annoying me. I go to the Android Market and try to download apps, and it just stays on the 'Starting Download' screen forever, and just doesn't download. I have tried Twitter, Shazam, and a couple of themes, none of them work.

I read about the Google account things, and I think I have an account on my phone but I honestly don't know how to switch to gmail and all that, this is my first Android phone and I am still learning about it!

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Tried clearing the cache, and then downloading something, but it still just says 'Starting Download', so that didn't work, I think.

On the Googlemail issue, it is definitely a googlemail account, as I haven't seen gmail mentioned on my phone since I got it. I read somewhere that switching between the two may help, but like I said in my original post, I don't even know how to do that.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Nothing, I don't think. It is weird, the little arrows flash at the top at the start, but then stop. It also keeps switching between 3G and 3G+, if that means anything. Sorry if this is all basic and everyone should know it, I honestly don't have a clue.

I have just tried to download an App from the Orange store, I downloaded Flixster, and that worked first time, if that means anything.

Upvote 0
Hi Overtick, I had the same problem for the first couple of days when I got my Desire, what i did was a factory data reset, (settings>SD&phone storage>factory data reset).

I dont think I set up my Googlemail account as I should have when setting up the phone. Maybe you could try "setup" first, rather than a reset mate.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This may be unrelated, but I sometimes get the "starting download" stall on app updates, and every single time it's been solved by increasing the available phone storage memory. Last weekend I had 7 updates that started but wouldn't download, so I deleted a few unwanted font files and the downloads started. Could be that the phone needs temporary space to download and install the files? I don't know for sure, but it helped me every time.

FYI, my storage was at around 135/147mb whan the downloads stalled, and they worked again after getting it to around 126/147mb.

Upvote 0
Firstly, I am new here, so apologies if this has been asked a million times and is a massive known issue or whatever. I had quite a good look but couldn't find any solutions.

Anyway, after having an iPhone for a long time, I upgraded my contract and got an HTC Desire today. So far I am loving it, however, one thing is annoying me. I go to the Android Market and try to download apps, and it just stays on the 'Starting Download' screen forever, and just doesn't download. I have tried Twitter, Shazam, and a couple of themes, none of them work.

I read about the Google account things, and I think I have an account on my phone but I honestly don't know how to switch to gmail and all that, this is my first Android phone and I am still learning about it!

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

If you do a google search "Can't download from Android market" you will see that this is a problem that affects probably thousands of users. I have this problem since doing a factory reset yesterday.
I got my Samsung Galaxy S in June and never had a problem until yesterday.

I have a googlemail account, never had a Gmail account. I have tried deleting the Market cache, removing the battery, Force Closing etc etc. Nothing yet works!

Sort it out Google!!!!

Upvote 0
SOLVED...possibly....and annoyingly.....

I have a rooted G1 running CM6. Lately my phone has been stalling on downloads as well. I've heard that some people do a trick with Google Talk, but when I try this, GTalk doesn't even open. I figured that this has something to do with my Google Apps that I flashed to the phone in recovery mode after installing CM6. All my Gapps worked initially, so I figured that a reflash of the Gapp from my microSD card would do the trick. It did! This trick lasted for a couple downloads before my phone reverted to it's stalled download condition once again. I'm hoping to flash to a different ROM (Biffmod 2.1) in hopes of fixing the problem. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones