1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support apps won't update - android.process.media error as well

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by shigglyboo, Jul 10, 2011.

1. shigglyboo

shigglyboo Well-Known Member
    None

May 8, 2011
    I found one other thread on here about this, the user didn't appear to solve the issue, un-rooting was recommended. If I google it there seem to be people will all sorts of android phones getting this error. I've tried clearing the download cache which is the number one suggestion, no luck.

I have several apps that are simply spinning their wheels trying to update unsuccessfully. When I load the market I get the android.process.media has stopped working "force close" error message. However, the market app itself still seems to function a bit, I just can't update any apps, and it will randomly close sometimes.

Do I have to flash my ROM or something like that? It sounds like once you start seeing this error message your phone is screwed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    This issue seems related to app storage on the SD card. I'm noticing that I have 36 apps trying to update now, and the app 2 SD mover app is reporting that most of the apps I had previously moved to the SD card are in fact on the phone now. I don't see how this is possible, all the apps still run. But the phone thinks they're missing and is trying to update everything. The updates aren't actually doing anything, just permanently updating.

3. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    upon further investigation it seems this is what happens when you uninstall metroweb. I do find it curious that Metro PCS was somehow able to weave their browser into the very fabric of Android, such that it breaks the Market app when uninstalled, but evidently this is the case.

I have the browser.apk file, but does anybody know how to go about reinstalling?

4. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    I do not know the details, but it has been covered many times here. Check the All Things Root sub-forum. Unfortunately, it is not possible to re-install and fix the problem. I believe that you pretty much have to wipe the system and put a clean factory install of the OS there. It will not even work to just do a factory reset, so please don't try that. I suggest backing everything up with something like Titanium before you get started.

5. shigglyboo

None

May 8, 2011
    I figured out how to reinstall MetroWeb. The same app that plucked it was able to put it back. I got the .apk file in the all things root forum, dropped it on the SD card, and the app "uninstaller" saw it, there's a little android icon you press and it says "found .apk files" and gives you the option to install. If you press and hold you have the option to "install as system app". I got it reinstalled and now everything's gravy.

I still think it's lame that somehow the MetroPCS broswer was tied to the Market, and furthermore cripples it when removed, but evidently that's the case. I should have done more reading before deleting. I figured a browser couldn't be that important, I have Opera installed. Anyway, to anyone else this happens to, you must get a hold of browser.apk, drop it on your card, and use the same uninstaller app you used to remove MetroWeb to reinstall it.

This was all trial and error. And it was sorta fun. Hope my chronicles will help others.

6. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert
    None

I think I read somewhere that the Metro Browser is rebranded stock. Many programs hook into the stock browser to access the internet or display content. No getting around that.

Tags: