• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps you can remove while root.

I didn't figure this out. I'm just making sure this community knows about it.
These apps are stored in /system/app

286,261 amazonmp3_1.4+4_standard_signed.apk
1,153,198 Bejeweled.apk
122,360 Email.apk
1,944,896 im.apk
1,572,124 MoxierMail-2.1.7.2.apk
238,881 nascar09_prod.apk
295,646 nfl_prod.apk
658,420 SprintTV.apk
33,740 SprintTVWidget.apk
1,454,940 Weather.apk

The apps I removed were
amazonmp3
Bejeweled
MoxierMail
nascar09_prod
SprintTV
SprintTVWidget
Weather

DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO TO YOUR PHONE.

Reactions: pastafarian
I have had one issue with the weather app. I removed the stock one cause I was planning on replacing with the one from the market. now the one from the market force closes. I did back up the stock one that was removed in case something like this happened so this weekend I'll put it back on and update it to see if I still get force close.

The best instructions I've found for root are HERE.
If you need help with partitioning the SD card see THIS.
To remove the apps see THIS.

Upvote 0
I have noticed faster boot times and a little bit of speed. I didn't do any timed test but I feel that the phone has increased speed. I may do a reset and check speeds then remove the apps and check speeds again.

If someone going to remove some apps, would check the speed of their boot, open of stock apps, third party apps, and shutdown, both before and after removing the apps, we'd get a better idea of the performance boost given. That way I don't have to do the reset(I just got my phone the way I want it).

Upvote 0
Ramone926- Rootexplorer is your friend. Once you have the app you can just select the mode to remove apps (r/w) it I remember right. Then just go the system/app and long press the apps you want to remove and select delete. If it tells you read only just pres the button on top again to select the correct mode. Hit me up if you need help (apk) :).

Reactions: ramone926
Upvote 0
Ramone926- Rootexplorer is your friend. Once you have the app you can just select the mode to remove apps (r/w) it I remember right. Then just go the system/app and long press the apps you want to remove and select delete. If it tells you read only just pres the button on top again to select the correct mode. Hit me up if you need help (apk) :).

Thanks!!! It worked like a charm!

Upvote 0
hey drez88, once I am in the system/app do I select delete or extract all? I am trying to get rid of bejeweled demo and sprint nascar

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones