• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps you like and why.

I was using and liking ChompSMS. I heard good things about HandcentSMS in this thread, tried it, and like it more. You might want to take a look.

Hey I also use chompsms and like it quite a bit. I tried switching to Handcent but cant seem to get the Quick message to work. I hold down the search button and the option comes up and i hit it and nothing happens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing. Too bad i like the look of that one

Upvote 0
Hey I also use chompsms and like it quite a bit. I tried switching to Handcent but cant seem to get the Quick message to work. I hold down the search button and the option comes up and i hit it and nothing happens. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and nothing. Too bad i like the look of that one

Going to try handcent right now...will report back ;)

Upvote 0
Games
Robo Defense

Bonsai Blast
Atomic Blaster
NESoid lite - this is a nintendo emulator works great because you can set the buttons u want for a and b. It's fun try it.

Others
Handcent
-replaces the text message app and is just like the iphone. works great.
Pandora - streams your favorite types of music
Movies by Flixter - see trailers, new release info, and DVD releases
Where - tells you where things are around you restaurants etc..
Shopsavvy - great barcode scanner, gives prices locally and on the net
Pkt Auctions - ebay app
Advanced Task Manager - the best app manager in my opinion
Merchant Pro - allows business owners to take credit cards, awesome app
Locale - great power manager app. Sets the phone base on location. Ringer, wifi, bluetooth, etc..

Upvote 0
In regards to locale, do you get more power or less? I hear conflicting reports on this since the GPS eats up so much juice...Thoughts?

Depending on how precise you want your location settings to be, you can probably just use it with GPS disabled. I used it for fairly general area things (e.g. at work, at home - which are separated by ~30 miles) so I don't really need the accuracy of GPS.

Something to be aware of is that location polling in Cupcake (1.5) has an issue that is exasperated by Locale. Many users report system slowdowns and decreased battery life as a result. My suggestion would be to install it and see how your mileage varies (I've had it installed since day 1 and have no complaints). More info is linked in this post: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc...or-battery-life-not-lets-fix-2.html#post66592

Upvote 0
i use it to turn my phone on vibrate when i get on campus (only during the hours I have class) and it does the job just fine without GPS locale is great!

For the future posters to this thread, can you please say what the app does and not just the name please!

BTW I like an app called Yes No, it's really silly app that randomly says yes or no when u shake the phone, but it can be surprisingly fun to ask questions about ur friends and see how good of a guesser it is

Upvote 0
If ever get irritated because the screen fades out and locks when you don't want it to, then you'll want to get Screebl.

Basically what Screebl does is monitor the angle at which you are holding your phone. If it's upright then it will keep the screen from fading and locking. Once you lay the phone on a flat surface, Screebl re-enables the default device setting. If you keep the default at its lowest setting (15 secs) then it will fade out fast but only when you mean for it to do that and not while you are reading something.

My favorite use of this is with Pandora. I put my phone on its side and prop it up against something. With Screebl the screen stays on and I can glance over at any point to see what song is playing and I can quickly give it a thumbs up or down or skip it.

I like this idea, but as I prepare to download this ap, it says it may keep the phone from going to sleep. Any comments in this regard from users? Thanks

Upvote 0
The only single thing that I miss on my Black Berry is the fact that I have 7 email accounts, and after setting them all up, they would all aggregate to 1 "messages" spot on my BB, which as I read through each one, I could see if needed where it came from.

I have searched and searched to no avail. Does anyone happen to know of an email app that places all of your mail in 1 spot?

Currently, each time I get an email with the HTC Mail app, I have to click through each box one at a time attempting to figure out which mailbox has mail.

:thinking: will someone please answer this???? I would also like to know

THANKS SO MUCH:D

Upvote 0
Depending on how precise you want your location settings to be, you can probably just use it with GPS disabled. I used it for fairly general area things (e.g. at work, at home - which are separated by ~30 miles) so I don't really need the accuracy of GPS.

Something to be aware of is that location polling in Cupcake (1.5) has an issue that is exasperated by Locale. Many users report system slowdowns and decreased battery life as a result. My suggestion would be to install it and see how your mileage varies (I've had it installed since day 1 and have no complaints). More info is linked in this post: http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc...or-battery-life-not-lets-fix-2.html#post66592

I use locale and don't have any power issues, but that's not to say it isn't an issue for others. I do have a question about locale tracking though. Is it mainly using GPS or wifi to determine your location, because it seems to rely on wifi. I ask this because I tried to set up a scenario where wifi is off by default, but turns on when I'm at home (trying to save battery life). When I first set up this scenario, I was at home with wifi on. Once I left my house I saw the wifi go off. So far so good. However, when I returned home later in the evening, wifi would not turn on automatically. Seems that since wifi was off, locale couldn't determine my location. Am I configuring something wrong?

Upvote 0
The only single thing that I miss on my Black Berry is the fact that I have 7 email accounts, and after setting them all up, they would all aggregate to 1 "messages" spot on my BB, which as I read through each one, I could see if needed where it came from.

I have searched and searched to no avail. Does anyone happen to know of an email app that places all of your mail in 1 spot?

Currently, each time I get an email with the HTC Mail app, I have to click through each box one at a time attempting to figure out which mailbox has mail.

:thinking: will someone please answer this???? I would also like to know

i think the smallest number you can get to is "two"

or...... if you only create a gmail acct just to initialize the phone, and then have all of your other email accts configured using the Mail app with pop/imap/EAS, and use just the one icon (has a totalizer - shows total new email count), THEN you could have just one email icon

also, i bet you could retrieve your email using the Mail app! you don't HAVE to use the gmail app to get the email in that "primary" gmail acct!

so.. it seems like if you really WANT to have only "one" mail icon, you can!
:cool:

Upvote 0
Here are the apps i use most often.

FreeCaddie - It a free golf GPS range finder.

USA Today news widget - I'm not a big fan of USA Today reporting but it's the best working news app i've found so far.

Live Football - I like the way all the scores and standings are organized and it's easy to switch between different sports. Very quick as well.

Barcode scanner - It's awesome to find an app online scan it and the app store takes you right to the app.

Upvote 0
These are a few that I love and use daily:

Calorie Counter- for those who need to drop a few pounds, its amazing and it also uses barcode scanning:D. Just ate a frozen meal or drank some milk? scan the barcode and bam! there it is, precisely right, every time. You can also add exercise.. just super easy to use and very helpful.
Budgetroid- simple effective way to keep up with how much you have left to spend.
My Coupons- Oh, man.. being a college student means my budgetroid usually shows very small number and this app always has great coupons to use, love it!
CardioTrainer- Its like nike +, except its better. You run or whatever activity, and it shows on the map your trail, average speed, calories burnt, time passed. It will even give you voice alerts that you can customize.
Task Manager - Advance Task Killer was giving me issues, but this one work for me just fine
Handcent- SMS/MMS app, absolutely love it. The quick reply i use when im driving, just press the speak button and say something short and its pretty good at getting it right, plus no texting while driving :)
Spare Parts- Really allows you to understand your battery life and whats sucking it dry
Robo Defense Free- its so much fun... i can play and play and play...etc..:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hi all. I found Screeble lite mentioned here in this thread, and thought it was a great idea, so I got it. Now I am not so sure I like it. When I am on a call, it seems that it will not allow the screen to sleep (which is the way it should act while upright, right?) and my face often times activates buttons, either pressing a number, or hanging up the call. I sometimes hear the button's "click" sound. If the screen was allowed to sleep, then this wouldn't happen. But then, I wouldn't have easy access to the keypad buttons during the call that I sometimes need to do. I'm not sure how to wake the screen during a call without hanging up, either. Thoughts? Anyone else using Screeble have comments? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Now a question. I pulled Screebl from above and absolutely love it. Just what I've been wanting and solves my frustration of having to unlock the device to end a phone call. What I'd love to have is an app (unless there's a setting I'm missing) that will make the screen stay on while the phone is charging. Anyone?

/Settings/Applications/Development/Stay Awake

'Screen will never sleep while charging'.

It's great for when I'm in my car with the Hero mounted beside me being charged by the USB cable since it's a pain to unlock it all the time.

Upvote 0
what is the best FB app...i just came from BB tour and i miss my FB app

The built-in Facebook integration is weak since it doesn't do a complete status update of my Facebook friends, but the Facebook pictures integration is great.

The Facebook App in the Market is a little better, but I use the browser and go to Welcome to Facebook | Facebook which is just fine!

Upvote 0
Mine are posted Sprint Community : General Android App Thread

But, I've added a few more since;

Apps Organizer (WOW!)
Google Sky Map
WiFi Analyzer
SportsTap
Bookmark Backup and Restore
Bookmark Manager
Speedtest.net

As for Mileage app mentioned above, I'm not completely impressed with it since the math inside the app is not calculating as accurately as I want it to if you ask me. I contacted the programmer and asked if they could change it to total price instead of gallons, and asked why it doesn't appear to calculate with the extra 9/10 per gallon at all! Besides, what if you use one of those older 'NON-DIGITAL' pumps with 0/0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 on the spinning wheels for gallons?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones