• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps you like and why.

The site has been off and on for a few days. It won't affect Gmote's performance though.

To learn about "port forwarding" go to PortForward.com - Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model and find your router model. The directions are pretty clear cut.

I also have an Apple Airport Express wireless router so I had to open the same port # there as well. If you have an additional wireless router you will have to do the same.

Be sure to add an exception for Gmote in your firewall unless Gmote has already done it for you. I added exceptions for the opened port there as well (one for TCP and one for UDP).

I had trouble at first because of my Dynamic IP. Gmote would only stream for a day or 2 and then my IP address would change and I'd lose my connection. I found the solution here though:

No-IP - Dynamic DNS, Static DNS for Your Dynamic IP

Be sure to install the No-IP client software on your computer and set it up with an easy name. The name you come up with will become your static IP address. Just enter that name for the IP address in Gmote and you should be good to go.

Quite possibly a REALLY stupid question, but if i set my computer at home up to allow me to control it over the 3G network by performing the steps listed here/on Gmote's site, would i be able to stream from that computer no matter where I am?

Upvote 0
Quite possibly a REALLY stupid question, but if i set my computer at home up to allow me to control it over the 3G network by performing the steps listed here/on Gmote's site, would i be able to stream from that computer no matter where I am?

Yes! As long as you get a decent signal you can connect to your media folder set up on your gmote server at home. I've been able to stream music but not video (so far).

Another note, when you get it set up and then connect on your phone, you will see a screen that shows your media folder. At the top there are 2 selections: "computer" and "phone(beta)". Make sure you select "phone(beta)" or else you'll be turning on your media player at home!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones