• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root apps2sd question

Peter123

Android Enthusiast
Nov 20, 2009
I am about to root my Eris.
But I not ready to install a new rom, - I am happy with 2.1 plus the 13 Mb patch.
All I want for the time being is OC, apps2sd and wireless tether...

Can I have apps2sd with my original (but rooted) 2.1 on it without flashibg a new rom?

Thanks Peter

I am about to root my Eris.
But I not ready to install a new rom, - I am happy with 2.1 plus the 13 Mb patch.
All I want for the time being is OC, apps2sd and wireless tether...

Can I have apps2sd with my original (but rooted) 2.1 on it without flashibg a new rom?

Thanks Peter

Peter,

Here's one thread over at XDA that discusses apps2sd: how to get a2sd working? - xda-developers (and specifically this post: xda-developers - View Single Post - how to get a2sd working? is helpful).

Looks like a2sd / apps2sd (same thing) involves the apps2sd.apk app, partitioning your /sdcard to have an EXT2 or EXT3 partition, and possibly some busybox commands.

apps2sd is usually built-in / baked-in to a custom ROM and I've seen a few early custom ROMs where the devs didn't quite get things setup correctly and a2sd doesn't work. It does seem a little tricksy to use even when the ROM does fully support it (based on things I've read). There's also the issue of a2sd shortening the life of your /sdcard (due to the partitioning?).

I haven't seen an obvious or simple set of instructions for installing this on a non-custom, rooted phone like you are asking about. Perhaps the best bet would be to post a query directly on the XDA forums (Droid Eris Android Development - xda-developers) and see if anyone can direct you there (they would know best since that's where the devs hang-out).

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Peter,

Here's one thread over at XDA that discusses apps2sd: how to get a2sd working? - xda-developers (and specifically this post: xda-developers - View Single Post - how to get a2sd working? is helpful).

Looks like a2sd / apps2sd (same thing) involves the apps2sd.apk app, partitioning your /sdcard to have an EXT2 or EXT3 partition, and possibly some busybox commands.

apps2sd is usually built-in / baked-in to a custom ROM and I've seen a few early custom ROMs where the devs didn't quite get things setup correctly and a2sd doesn't work. It does seem a little tricksy to use even when the ROM does fully support it (based on things I've read). There's also the issue of a2sd shortening the life of your /sdcard (due to the partitioning?).

I haven't seen an obvious or simple set of instructions for installing this on a non-custom, rooted phone like you are asking about. Perhaps the best bet would be to post a query directly on the XDA forums (Droid Eris Android Development - xda-developers) and see if anyone can direct you there (they would know best since that's where the devs hang-out).

Good luck.

Thanks scarry,

>> There's also the issue of a2sd shortening the life of your /sdcard (due to the partitioning?).

I think this maybe due to the fact that SD cards have limits how many time you access it (read/write cycles). If the program/cache is being written or read often from or to the SD card (which may happen with apps2sd) the maximum read/write cycle may be reached quite quickly.
Peter

Upvote 0
Thanks scarry,

>> There's also the issue of a2sd shortening the life of your /sdcard (due to the partitioning?).

I think this maybe due to the fact that SD cards have limits how many time you access it (read/write cycles). If the program/cache is being written or read often from or to the SD card (which may happen with apps2sd) the maximum read/write cycle may be reached quite quickly.
Peter

Peter,

Yeah, that does make more sense...

By the way, after you do root, you could regain some space for your own apps by nuking some of the bloatware (Amazon MP3, etc.) in lieu of using a2sd (assuming it frees-up enough space to meet your needs). Just an idea... [just a reminder to be sure to take a Nandroid backup before you do delete anything; safety net, you know? :D]

Good luck rooting! :)

Upvote 0
Peter,

Yeah, that does make more sense...

By the way, after you do root, you could regain some space for your own apps by nuking some of the bloatware (Amazon MP3, etc.) in lieu of using a2sd (assuming it frees-up enough space to meet your needs). Just an idea... [just a reminder to be sure to take a Nandroid backup before you do delete anything; safety net, you know? :D]

Good luck rooting! :)

Do I have to have root to delete these?
Peter

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones