• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
copied this From the xtrrom site.. this is actually really easy. After backing up your sd card, this will take you a minute

Prerequisites

1. If you have not setup your SD card (for those new to Apps2sd):
BACKUP YOUR SD CARD TO YOUR COMPUTER. Can't stress this enough, as partitioning will wipe the entire card.

2. Reboot into recovery

3. In Android System Recovery, select Partition sdcard

4. In the Partition sdcard menu, select Partition SD

5. Follow the instructions on the phone to partition your SD card. Most folks seem to recommend using the default values however you can go larger or smaller use values 256, 512,768,1024. You will also be asked to set a swap size; I stayed at 32mb (anticipate future ROM options to allow moving swap to sd)

6. Once the partition is initially created you must then convert to ext3 - In the Partition sdcard menu, select SD:ext2 to ext3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

7. Press the back button on the phone to go back to the main menu.

8. Your SD card is now ready to work with an Apps2sd supported ROM.

Upvote 0
copied this From the xtrrom site.. this is actually really easy. After backing up your sd card, this will take you a minute

Prerequisites

1. If you have not setup your SD card (for those new to Apps2sd):
BACKUP YOUR SD CARD TO YOUR COMPUTER. Can't stress this enough, as partitioning will wipe the entire card.

2. Reboot into recovery

3. In Android System Recovery, select Partition sdcard

4. In the Partition sdcard menu, select Partition SD

5. Follow the instructions on the phone to partition your SD card. Most folks seem to recommend using the default values however you can go larger or smaller use values 256, 512,768,1024. You will also be asked to set a swap size; I stayed at 32mb (anticipate future ROM options to allow moving swap to sd)

6. Once the partition is initially created you must then convert to ext3 - In the Partition sdcard menu, select SD:ext2 to ext3. Follow the instructions on the screen.

7. Press the back button on the phone to go back to the main menu.

8. Your SD card is now ready to work with an Apps2sd supported ROM.

This is correct but the apps2sd may not be activated to put stuff on sd so to be sure after you do the above steps

Use sdk or the terminal app to activate it.

with sk have the command prompt point to the sdk tools folder then type:
adb shell
at the # prompt, type a2sd cachesd
it will now activate the a2sd file as well as move all apps to the sd card as well as install future apps to sd

witht the terminal app,
open the app
At the prompt type su
at the prompt type a2sd cachesd
it will now activate and move all apps to sd as well as install future apps to sd

Upvote 0
This is correct but the apps2sd may not be activated to put stuff on sd so to be sure after you do the above steps

Use sdk or the terminal app to activate it.

with sk have the command prompt point to the sdk tools folder then type:
adb shell
at the # prompt, type a2sd cachesd
it will now activate the a2sd file as well as move all apps to the sd card as well as install future apps to sd

witht the terminal app,
open the app
At the prompt type su
at the prompt type a2sd cachesd
it will now activate and move all apps to sd as well as install future apps to sd

I believe he can skip this step if he is using xtrrom3.. after setting up the sd card, he can simply flash the app2sdON and that will do the adb commands for him.

For any other rom however, this step would indeed be necessary

Upvote 0
After you format your sd card, you can flash the apps2sdON and apps2sd will function as designed.

You might be interested in this thread that I started with some of the same questions.

I believe the newest version does not require flashing zip files after installing the ROM. It has now a gscript utility to toggle features (see the ROM istruction on the OP.)

Peter

Upvote 0
Question:
Before I partition the SD card I copy everything of the SD card to the PC for safekeeping.
Then I do the partitioning and flash the ROM.

At which point do I copy back the files/folders from the PC?
Before or after flashing the ROM?
Do I copy everything back into the SD root?

Peter

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones