• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root AppstoSD+ and "best" custom ROM

pointy

Aug 10, 2010
Hi there,

I am currently using stock Sense 2.2 rooted with ModInstallLocation but still have a lot of low memory errors on the phone from time to time as well as a general sluggishness of the phone. I have done a bit of research and it would appear that the AppstoSD+ would be ideal as it moves the Cache and also forces all apps to be installed to the Ext3 partition on my SD thus saving internal memory space but I still have a couple of questions.

If I install a ROM that supports A2SD+ is there any way that I could move certain apps to the internal phone memory? I assume that a Titanium backup will reinstall all of the apps and data onto the new Ext3 partition rather than the internal memory?

What is the "best" ROM to be using nowadays that has Sense? I am looking for something that doesnt hammer the battery too much but it must have the Sense widgets for wifi etc.

Thanks for any advice offered. :)

Now hang on, lets just clarify. A2SD+ is apps and davlik cache. App cache still remains internal. This is more than any other method though.

With a2sd+, ext partition is seen as internal. Nothing needs to be moved manually (nor can it be). But you dont need to. Since it is a seperate partition, it doesn't mount when you mount your sd so unlike froyo a2sd, when you mount, you dont lose the ability to use your sd card apps.

Also, widgets are not affected in this way so nothing needs to be on the actual internal memory. Everything will run just as it would on internal.

Any install of an app be it titanium or market will use ext automatically.

If you want sense, theres leedroid and theres teppic74's stock rooted rom.

I would go for the latter myself:

[ROM] [18/10] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers

READ THE WHOLE THREAD ;)

Reactions: Tyseyh
Upvote 0
Just installed this.

You have to flash the second rom on the page, this one Download ROM with init.d Support (2.0). Then the radio below it and then finally the apps2sd zip too in that order ;)

I just did it, and the rom is smooth, no problems at all. However, I was under the impression that once rooted, apps to sd installed everything on my external sd partition. My internal memory still goes down when I install apps, so I wonder if i'm doing it correctly?

Upvote 0
Thanks.
What's the mod? You mean like to get a percentage showing?

Yep, tried it a few times and cant get it to work. Teppic has posted instructions but since it is not his creation he said that he doesn't support it. If there is anyone that has installed the circle battery mod for the statusbar please post how you managed to do it.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yep, tried it a few times and cant get it to work. Teppic has posted instructions but since it is not his creation he said that he doesn't support it. If there is anyone that has installed the circle battery mod for the statusbar please post how you managed to do it.

Thanks

Do you mean like the one top left here.....?

If so just install this apk from here -

Black text - xda-developers
White text- xda-developers

(Original thread - [APP] 27-OCT-2010 Circular battery Indicator with % (No root required) - xda-developers)

deviceum.png

Upvote 0
What I did was follow teppic74's instructions and the steps outlined in the theme kitchen:

• download the framework-res.apk from the first post of the xda thread [ROM] [29/10] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers (where it says "Download this file")
  • Go to the UOT kitchen at UOT Kitchen
  • Choose mods. I'm currently using circle battery C, "new charger", Dr Droid icon set and a customised notification bar. Since I'm using the "tweaks" mod which moves the boot animation file I thought it best not to use the kitchen to customise the boot animation.
  • Upload the framework-res.apk when requested.
  • Wait for zip file to bake. Download and copy it to my SD card.
  • Take a nandroid backup
  • Use clockwork recovery to install zip.
I'm pretty sure you need to be using the second version of teppic74's rom (init.d enabled), but if you want A2SD+ you need that one anyway. If you try this with a totally stock Froyo you'll end up in a boot loop, and hence I assume the same is true for the first version of this ROM, but with the init.d enabled version I've not had any problems.

Edit: added image of result:

Attachments

• homescreen.jpg
    homescreen.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: pointy
Upvote 0
Just installed this.

You have to flash the second rom on the page, this one Download ROM with init.d Support (2.0). Then the radio below it and then finally the apps2sd zip too in that order ;)

I just did it, and the rom is smooth, no problems at all. However, I was under the impression that once rooted, apps to sd installed everything on my external sd partition. My internal memory still goes down when I install apps, so I wonder if i'm doing it correctly?
Daft question but how can you tell whether the new ROM installed okay ?

Upvote 0
I'm going to try this.
[ROM] [18/10] Pre-rooted Stock Froyo (2.10.405.2) [Optional mods] - xda-developers,the second ROM with init.d.

My desire is already using this radio 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2 but will I have to re-install it after flashing the rom?

I am also going to use the
highpowersaving-g6a358a9-signed.zip and add_a2sd-14-signed.zip and update_apps-15-signed.zip which I assume I should flash in that order and back-up after each step.

Would you recommend this? teppicify-11-signed.zip ?
Will it just stop HTC OTA updates and still allow android market app updates?

After all that, I'm going to follow Hadron's guide.

Before I do all that though, I need
ext3 my sd card for A2SD+.
I'm going to do this with a adb guide I found but can anybody recommend/advise me on the sizes, I don't really want to find that (in next to no time) I am running out of space and have to redo it.
Guide -->
http://androidandme.com/2009/08/news/how-to-manually-partition-your-sd-card-for-android-apps2sd/

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones