• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

April Security Update Ready

markdoc

Android Expert
Jun 28, 2011
Suburb of New York City, NY, USA
I had to check for it manually. Its small this time, only 27.48mb. I'm on Verizon, NE USA, so I'm not sure of others. What I've noticed about the Google updates compared to other manufacturers is that after it's installed, it states that it optimizes the phone. I have a 512 GB drive so it takes longer than the update. I never saw that on my LG or HTC phones. Have fun. (◉‿◠)

Updates often had an "optimising apps" stage on other phones which would happen after the reboot (and could be slow). I think the Pixels, with their A/B system partitions, do all of that stuff before the reboot.

It was never that fast on my Pixel 2, but as you could carry on using the phone while it was all happening that wasn't a big issue.

Reactions: markdoc
Upvote 0
Updates often had an "optimising apps" stage on other phones which would happen after the reboot (and could be slow). I think the Pixels, with their A/B system partitions, do all of that stuff before the reboot.

It was never that fast on my Pixel 2, but as you could carry on using the phone while it was all happening that wasn't a big issue.

Thanks for the info, Hadron. Its the same with the Pixel 6 Pro. You can use the phone while it's optimizing.

Reactions: Hadron and tube517
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones