1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Archos 70, 101, or G-tab?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dpbain, Mar 28, 2011.

1. dpbain

dpbain Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    I am planning on purchasing a mid-price tablet and have come down to these 3. Due to the rooting issues, I have pretty much eliminated the G-tab. Which one of the Archos tablets is preferable? For some reason, reviews (on Amazon at least) favor the 70, however at just $30 more I can buy the 101. I think I'd refer the 101 if the reviews were more complimentary.

Advertisement

2. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    speaker, trainer
    Nanaimo, BC Canada
    In my case, I ordered the 70. One of my main reasons for buying it was to be my main ebook reader, so I wanted the 7" one instead of the 10" to make it easier to hold for a long time.

But if weight is not an issue, the 10" one for only $30 more is a good choice.

3. dpbain

dpbain Lurker
    None

Mar 28, 2011
    I'm kind of leaning toward the 70 due to its size as you mentioned. I plan to use it primarily for going on-line and maybe emails. Are you satisfied how it works on those 2 areas?

4. ebusinesstutor

ebusinesstutor Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    speaker, trainer
    Nanaimo, BC Canada
    I ordered it last week and am still anxiously waiting for it to come!

I will let you know when it arrives.

5. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio

I am still happy with mine. I have the 70 and it's nice for email, web, and like right now when responding to threads on here. Don't load it down with too many apps and you'll enjoy it. It's fine for playing games but if you put too many app on the device (or too many widgets) as it will start to bog down.

6. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    technical illustrator
    UK
    I have the 101 and regularly use it as an e-reader and havent found the weight a problem, its a very light tablet, perfect for comics, books and the web.

I have rooted my Archos using UrukDroid 0.7, this gives you more room for apps (1gb instead of the 238mb that I had before) and speeds the device up as it allows you to use the faster ext4 file system as well as enabling compcache.

I use Launcher pro instead of the stock launcher and have found that this helps keep the device running smoothly, I tried Zeam and found that was very fast, but its no longer being supported so I returned to LP.

The gen8 archos devices are great, but they arent that powerful, so dont expect to be able to run the most recent 3D games that are being released for tegra2 devices.

Tags: