• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Archos or Versus??

Examigan

Lurker
Aug 20, 2012
I'd take the RAM over the internal memory.

Why is RAM so important? Can I not use additional memory chips? Or is there another tablet has the 1gig ram plus the HDMI output and 8 gig built in and whats the difference.

I remember the Amiga was limited by what was called chipram which could not be increased because of the expense plus the tech did not exist back then

Upvote 0
Uh, no, you can't upgrade RAM on mobile devices like phones and tablets as these are hardwired into the motherboard AFAIK. MicroSD cards increase the storage capacity, not the RAM. It has no effect on RAM whatsoever. What RAM the device has when bought stays that way. Its not a PC that can have its hardware upgraded.

More RAM means less lag, more apps running simultaneously for multitasking and basically better operation (less crashes).

Another device with all those specs? Sure. All versions of Galaxy Tabs have the specs you want, at a higher price point of course. I am not familiar with the lower priced models from non-mainstream manufacturers.

Upvote 0
I came across this when I googled the spec I wanted - Coby seem to be somthing to do with Philips

Coby 7 inch Android 4.0 Tablet with 8GB Storage and HDMI Output - IdealWorld

Coby 7 inch Android 4.0 Tablet with 8GB Storage and HDMI Output

Cortex A8 1.0GHz Processor:
8GB Total Storage:
1GB DDR3 Memory
Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich OS
7 inch LCD Screen with 800 x 480 Res
Responsive Capacitive touch Screen
One year warranty

Upvote 0
However what makes me skeptic is that there seems to be no info on whether or not it has a microSD slot for memory expansion.

The Currys Archos spec sheet says its an A8 not A9
251027_STANDARD__DET_20120810.jpg

The Coby come with "Getjar" Is that any good?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones