• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Archos starting to issue 2.2 update.

Interesting, its been quite a while since a manufacturer states that by a certain date an update will be produced and actually fulfills that promise. Well it seems that Archos has indeed delivered the goods and has started issuing the 2.2 update on their site. This update is for all Gen 8 products so its not only for the 101 internet tablet.

Good going Archos.

More info here.

TS out

Doesn't look like it is really ready, lots of issues.. And i mean LOTS.
Ill wait a week or two before trying to update. Now the real test of how good Archos is by fixing things quickly comes into play.

Mine comes tomorrow....where are you finding that there are issues with 2.2? It doesn't seem to be reported in this forum. I'd like to read it before updating.

Upvote 0
seems its running slower than 2.1 did on a lot of 101s, and due to flash certification delays they have released it without an official flash plugin built into 2.2. (flash will follow asap as an apk, but you can always sideload it from your phone, it may not be optimised though)

many are reporting better results with a clean flash of 2.2 from the downloaded file on the Archos website, rather than the OTA update though.

Im hoping Archos release another 'better/fixed' version of 2.2 soon though

Upvote 0
my device still shows 300-600-1000 as the cpu settings. It does look like it's favoring the lower values more than in 2.1.

If you upgrade I recommend doing a recovery format of the device and then load it via usb (the recovery mode handles all that for you) from you're computer. I did the OTA update and it was slow and crashy so did the recovery/wipe - format and now it's working a LOT better.

Android Market works as does voice search and stuff if you install the libs/framework for the google apps. Most of the current methods don't tell you how to install the libs/framework.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones