1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Are 4.3 update problems only on Samsung phones?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by stephen65, Feb 5, 2014.

1. stephen65

stephen65 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 25, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I've been wondering if other manufacturers are having problems with updates or is this a Samsung issue only?

In other words is this 4.3 update an update to Android in general regardless of the manufacturer, LG, Motorola, HTC, etc.?

The reason I'm asking is that when I get ready for another phone this time next year I'm beginning to get upset at Samsung IF they are the ones that keep pushing bad updates out and I will probably go with another brand.

Advertisement

2. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    The 4.3 update is an update to Android in general, but I've been seeing a lot of folks experiencing issues with the update on their Samsung devices (likely some of the "enhancements" that Samsung added in weren't tested thoroughly and may have caused some problems).

Also, hi neighbor!

stephen65 and funkylogik like this.
  3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    On any device, even a nexus that runs pure android, its always recommended to do a factory reset after an android update.
    This means that youre doing a fresh restore of all your apps and their data/settings onto the new operating system.
    On samsung phones which use a very customised version of android, the need to do a factory reset is maybe more, i dont know.
    The point i want to make though is that samsungs 4.3 update is no longer buggy. People have just updated in an unclean way thats prone to bugs and thats gona be the same on any phone :thumbup:

4. stephen65

None

Jun 25, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    Hi neighbor :) That's what I thought was that Samsung seems to be having more trouble. It does mean that I'm less likely to purchase another Samsung phone.

But unclean is the only way some of us know to do things. I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by all this factory reset and backup stuff. When there's a pretty good chance that I'm going to turn one of these things into a nice rectangular paper weight by just making a small mistake, I'm going to be tremendously cautious about doing something that I'm not totally familiar with.

5. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    There's absolutely no reason that an average user should have to perform a factory reset or data wipe when the manufacturer/carrier pushes an update to the device. There's no excuse for an update to be that bug-ridden, and I think it's silly to expect everyone to wipe their phone because Samsung can't get their stuff together.

That said, performing a factory reset can help resolve a lot of issues, but I really see that as more of a next-to-last troubleshooting step. Just like with a PC, old data can kind of build up in the tubes (heh) and cause instability or other problems, and I personally like to periodically clean all of that out and start fresh. The downside is that the factory reset erases ALL of your data from the phone, so you'd want to be sure to back up anything important.

Have you encountered any particular problems that you'd like help resolving? Or, as you said, are you just looking to get a better sense of how widespread certain problems may be in order to help with your next phone decision?

6. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Yeah totally understandable mate and resetting the phone is a major PITA.
    For the average user like yourself, wiping the phone means doing a factory reset which removes all of your apps, pics, data from the device.
    As i said in another post, i wish the manufacturer made things easier for you but as things stand, thats how to do an update and have no bugs.
    If i was in charge, things would be different but im not :D

stephen65 likes this.
  7. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin'
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Washington, DC
    It does seem like a lot of Samsung devices have reported issues with the 4.3 update. I don't recall seeing many issues from other non nexus manufacturers, but I'm sure there were some.

The factory reset just means that the device is wiped clean using the factory reset option contained in your settings menu or executed from recovery. This is a pretty safe operation as long as you don't pull out your battery in the middle of it or do it when it's about to die. Those in the custom rom game do this nearly every time they flash a rom to reduce the chance of issues arising.

backing up just means making sure you have your pictures/videos/app data backed up on your sd card and/or computer since they will be wiped out during a reset. This way you can restore them once the reset is complete.

codesplice and funkylogik like this.
  8. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    I dont think samsungs 4.3 update is a special case. Does anyone remember how alive the forums were with bug reports when the update to jellybean started lol?
    Im sure kitkat will be the same.
    Im not playing down the bugs people are having or saying its acceptable, im just saying theres an almost surefire way to solve them

9. stephen65

None

Jun 25, 2011
    Huntsville, Alabama
    I guess I'm being so overly cautious because of my general lack of knowledge in all things electronic and also because I bricked my laptop back in October by picking the wrong option. Also it doesn't help when I've got a volcanic temper problem which contributes to me making quick wrong decisions.

I would like to stop deferring this update everyday but I just don't understand the process that you would have to go through to POSSIBLY safeguard against the potential problems that could arise.

I've pulled videos and pics off of a phone before but have never tried to put them back on. Could you just pull them off to the computer temporarily, do the backup/update/reset thing, then put the videos & pics back on the phone? Because if that's possible I think it would be the easiest thing for me to do because I don't know what a sd card is or where it is and it just sounds more complicated.

The totally easiest thing for me to do would be to just keep deferring everyday but I'm just afraid that day will come when it won't let me defer anymore and start installing the update anyway and I'll be caught flat footed with no options.

10. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    There's not a whole lot that you can do before the update to make sure you won't have problems. The best advice I can offer is to copy any pictures/videos/files that you may want to preserve onto your computer, and then go ahead and install the update. You shouldn't run into any problems with the update, in which case you can just carry on with life as usual. If any problems arise, you can try performing a Factory Reset (which will erase all the data off your device) and then copy your pictures/videos/files back from your computer (yes, backup/restore can be as simple as that). Also, if you run into issues, feel free to post back in here and we would be more than happy to provide whatever assistance we can :)

stephen65 likes this.
  11. ps3102

ps3102 Lurker
    None

Feb 26, 2014
    I recently upgraded my S3 to 4.3 and every hour I get (3) ECERT.tif files downloaded and displayed in my notifications. I have not found a way to turn this off, any help?

12. funkylogik

None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Try going into the Downloads app and clear downloads