• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are ads in most free apps a big problem or minor annoyance ?

Being new to tablets and android I need to ask before downloading a lot of apps -

Are the ads in most of the free apps more of just a minor occasional annoyance, or are they a major distraction from using your tablet ?

(I don't mind paying a small fee for good ad-free apps, but there seems to be some good apps out there without a paid ad-free version)

Is there a list somewhere of apps to avoid due to excessive intruding ads that pop up way too often ?

(I can understand the need for ads in some free apps, but don't make them so intrusive or frequent that the app user regrets installing the app and uninstalls it)

Install the app called 'AdFree Android'. But however this application is compatible for rooted android devices.

Thanks for reminding me. Just updated my hosts file!! :D

As for ads in apps, to be honest most are fairly unobtrusive, and I hate adverts with a passion (most of my TV is watched on 'catchup' so I can skip the ads). There are the odd ones that get in the way but the best idea is to try the app and see for yourself.

Oh, and some people will say that using something like 'Adfree' deprives the developers of revenue so we get less quality apps, etc. My view is that I NEVER EVER click through on any of these apps so, in my case, it makes no difference.

Dave

Upvote 0
I have a couple of apps with ads - if the ads are "G" rated, they don't bother me. I've seen some "R" rated ads that I wouldn't want appearing on a game which a younger child would play.

I usually buy the app, but some apps I like don't have paid version. I have one solitaire game like that. I like solitaire.

Upvote 0
If the apps aren't obtrusive to the workings of the app itself, its fine for me. I can ignore them. If they are obtrusive like in the middle of game play they appear on places that make you lose or hide an important area of vision and stuff, I uninstall immediately. Airpush ads are less of an annoyance for me. Astrid is even more annoying for me than they are. Although I am concerned about possible batter impact.

Upvote 0
Thanks for reminding me. Just updated my hosts file!! :D

As for ads in apps, to be honest most are fairly unobtrusive, and I hate adverts with a passion (most of my TV is watched on 'catchup' so I can skip the ads). There are the odd ones that get in the way but the best idea is to try the app and see for yourself.

Oh, and some people will say that using something like 'Adfree' deprives the developers of revenue so we get less quality apps, etc. My view is that I NEVER EVER click through on any of these apps so, in my case, it makes no difference.

Dave

Major annoyance. I have refused to purchase a few commercial apps because the free trial version had very annoying adds.

Some can do it right, but constantly making me view adverts - I guess I'm too spoiled by desktop linux where free applications are not advertisement driven.

If I find an app that has a free version and a paid version. I always buy the paid version because I can't stand ads

I have a couple of apps with ads - if the ads are "G" rated, they don't bother me. I've seen some "R" rated ads that I wouldn't want appearing on a game which a younger child would play.

I usually buy the app, but some apps I like don't have paid version. I have one solitaire game like that. I like solitaire.

If the apps aren't obtrusive to the workings of the app itself, its fine for me. I can ignore them. If they are obtrusive like in the middle of game play they appear on places that make you lose or hide an important area of vision and stuff, I uninstall immediately. Airpush ads are less of an annoyance for me. Astrid is even more annoying for me than they are. Although I am concerned about possible batter impact.

Good points everyone, for me if an ad is an unobtrusive G rated ad that is not annoying when trying to use the app that might be ok, but having said that, I am not likely to buy directly thru an ad as I prefer to do some independent research from unbiased sources before making purchases.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones