• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are all Android keyboards basically horrible?

Yeah, I think you'll end up with it. I just put the Beta back on mine and they've fixed my crash, at least that's what it looks like so far. Fixed the performance issue too from the looks of it. I'll logon to the forum and update my problem report.

Enjoy. It's highly customizable which is nice too. I've played with swiping and even with zero experience with it, the thing usually guesses right on what I'm trying to say. And it does learn your word patterns for predictability use.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
I don't know why you didn't like but believe me SwiftKey keyboard is the best keyboard. I have tried all keyboards available but ultimately settled on SwiftKey keyboard. I installed three languages and very easy to switch between languages. Give it another try.

Swiftkey is the best in tap typing, but Swype is still better at swipe typing. Depends on how the person usually texts which would be better for them.

Reactions: Roy55 and apple2005
Upvote 0
I use messageease keyboard, and I'll never use a qwerty keyboard ever again.

This keyboard lets you,
- Type numbers, letters and symbols all in one keyboard without the need to change keyboard
- Move your cursor left and right
- Select all, copy, paste, cut by swiping and no need to press and hold

Try it, it takes a month or so to get used to it, but it's much much more superior to any qwerty keyboards

Upvote 0
I always disable all the annoying things; capitalization, auto correct, etc. etc. etc. Generally I prefer the stock keyboard, but Google screwed up the last one when they removed the ability to add the mic where I always keep it. I now use the Jelly Bean keyboard from the Play Store along with the Handcent Emoji Plugin. Nice simple keyboard, no fuss no muss and no unnecessary added extra garbage.

i use big button keyboard and also first disable voice and swipe before i install it. Call me old fashioned, but sometimes the notion of ' keep it simple , stupid' actually works out much better.

Upvote 0
Swiftkey also has the "thumb" or split layout which is the one I like also. It can also be resized on the fly if need be which is another nice feature.

I used the split landscape layout when I first started using SwiftKey. I eventually switched because the layout still was not to my liking. As good as the text prediction/autocorrect is on SwiftKey, I find myself accidentally pressing the space bar or shift key. These types of keying errors are nearly impossible to correct, even for SwiftKey.

Swiftkey is the best in tap typing, but Swype is still better at swipe typing. Depends on how the person usually texts which would be better for them.

I tap type in landscape most of the time and occasionally gesture type in portrait. For a while, I was using Keyboard Manager+ to auto switch between Kii in landscape and Swype in portrait. I eventually just used Kii because the auto switching didn't work reliably.

I use messageease keyboard, and I'll never use a qwerty keyboard ever again.

This keyboard lets you,
- Type numbers, letters and symbols all in one keyboard without the need to change keyboard
- Move your cursor left and right
- Select all, copy, paste, cut by swiping and no need to press and hold

Try it, it takes a month or so to get used to it, but it's much much more superior to any qwerty keyboards

I really tried to use this keyboard. I used it for a few days including during a 3-hour chat with a friend. I eventually got tired of the really slow typing I had to endure. It probably would take me a month before getting really used to this keyboard. The learning curve is steep and considering I can type fairly well with Kii, I ultimately felt it wasn't worth the effort to learn MessagEase in order to achieve a proficiency that approaches my current proficiency with Kii.

MessagEase is great in that I did not need auto-correct when typing on it. I almost never key in the wrong key by accident. It just took a long time to find the key that I want to type, particularly those less commonly used letters and symbols. Maybe I will try it again sometime.

Upvote 0
Agreed. I've tried tracing words with Swift Key and really couldn't get it to work for me, so I stick with Swype and it's clones

I don't have a problem gesture typing on SwiftKey Flow. The problem I have is when it predicts the wrong word. SwiftKey does not present alternate words for the current word for me to select. Instead it offers me what it thinks maybe my next word. Correcting or selecting alternate words for the word I just typed is hard and not possible in SwiftKey. That is the advantage Swype and Kii has over SwiftKey.

Swype is the best keyboard for gesture typing. One advantage it has over Kii is the ability to indicate whether or not you need to gesture type a word with a double or single letter. With Kii, it is difficult without context for the keyboard to determine if you want to type, "too" or "to". With Swype, a small circle gesture over a letter indicates you want a double letter. Kii doesn't not support this double letter gesture.

One feature that is availble in Swype that is not available in Kii is to have gesture typing enabled in portrait only and not landscape. I find it annoying when typing with Kii and I accidentally drag my thumb slightly after typing a letter. Kii thinks that I'm gesture typing and makes my small drag a new word. Swype does not have gesture typing enabled in landscape. I never gesture type in landscape. Only in portrait.

SwiftKey is great I reckon. I don't get swype style keyboards really, they suck.

The great thing about gesture typing for me at least is that it is easy to type one handed. On those occasions where typing with both hands is not convenient or when I need to turn off auto-rotate, gesture typing is great.

Upvote 0
I don't have a problem gesture typing on SwiftKey Flow. The problem I have is when it predicts the wrong word. SwiftKey does not present alternate words for the current word for me to select. Instead it offers me what it thinks maybe my next word. Correcting or selecting alternate words for the word I just typed is hard and not possible in SwiftKey.

That was my problem as well

Upvote 0
I use the AOSP keyboard (baked into Dirty Unicorns). It swypes very nicely. I have 2 "languages" English (US) and English (US) (PC). The difference is that the PC version gives you a number row more symbol keys at the price of the size of the keys, but I can switch easily between them (long press space bar) for different situations. I also flash the iphone emoji which I like because they are more graphic (have to be rooted to do that). Also, the ASOP has a setting that allows you to unblock bad words same as you can unblock them in hot word recognition for voice.

Leaving autocorrrect on in any speed texting app is extremely risky. In my word processor, maybe. But in my SMS app? Yikes! Although it is sometimes a source of entertainment. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones