• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

are all apps equal for all phones?

It doesn't depend on the phone. It does depend on the version of android that you have.

It does depend on the phone, some phones have different specs (e.g. screen resolution) and if your phone doesn't meet the spec list the software won't be listed.

Also important are;

- what country you are in
- What carrier you use
- What Android version you run

Upvote 0
Yup,
as part as the application "definition", you can specify things such as REQUIRES_CAMERA or REQUIRES_COMPASS and also the minimum and maximum OS versions the app will want to run on (note: the app might technically work on a newer/older os, but that setting will be a definitive limitation).

As a user, there is nada you can do about it, except strive to meet those criteria. The bad thing is, if you don't see the app in the Market, you can't tell why you don't see it.

@slarti:
Oh btw: Your name wouldn't happen to be a THHGTTG reference, now would it? ;)

Upvote 0
I can download the app, the handcent app states the newest updates has facebook integration for 2.1 phones

i am running an eris with 2.1 and the developer said the eris does not support that feature, how can you limit features per phone?

Because you are running the leaked version of 2.1. Some apps don't work on the leaked version.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones