1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Are all car phone charger the same?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Android Question, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Android Question

None
    I have a samsung S4. I want to use a car charger (those kind that one end plug into the car cigarette lighter hole, one end plug into phone)

I got a no brand car charger but not sure if suitable for use.

Are all car charger same standard? Need to see what specs?

Any tips for choosing and buying a car charger?

Thanks

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Just like mains chargers they come with different max amp (current) outputs. All should be at 5 volts. The max current should be 0.5amps (minimum spec) up to 3 amps (fine for high consumption products such as tablets. ) Get one with at least the same current rating as the mains charger that came with your S4. The amount of current drawn is controlled by the device being charged. A charger rated at 3amps will not damage a phone that draws only 1 amp, but a device needing a 2 amp charger may actually discharge if plugged into a 0.5amp charger while its in use.

Hope this helps

Roger

lunatic59 and spman like this.
  3. spman

spman Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2013
    How to know what amp does the device/phone need?

4. apple2005

apple2005 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 22, 2011
    Look at your charger which came with the phone. The amperes and voltage is written on it.

5. spman

spman Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 26, 2013
    Does the phone give warning/notification that it is discharging? It seems weird that turning on 0.5amp would discharge the phone if the device needs more than 0.5amp, I thought it would only charge slower because when the 0.5amp is still going into the power when the charger is switched on.

6. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    It depends on the apps running and the hardware resources being drawn upon (and therefore, somewhat on the phone or tablet itself).

If I'm doing something that drives all four of my cpu cores to the max frequency and lots of graphics and radio use, when I put it on a 0.5 A charger, I get a popup warning that the current draw exceeds the charger supply.

Under those conditions, it won't charge slower, it just drains slower until you kill or switch apps to something less intense. (And now this that I think about it, I've had that happen with dual and single core phones too.)

But normally and most of the time, yes, 0.5 A charging supply just means that it's going to charge more slowly.