1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Are Antivirus apps really needed?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Android_user120485, May 21, 2019.

1. Android_user120485

Apr 26, 2019
    Are they really needed for the android OS??

Still quite new to android. The only things I've been downloading are from the Play Store and I can't see android letting apps from there official store give me any viruses, can they? Also been streaming things online like movies, not exactly from things like Netflix or Hulu so idk if we can get viruses from streaming from unofficial websites. But if only downloading from the play store I'm wondering if I can save my phones storage and ram by not getting an Antivirus app.

Advertisement

monirkhan722045 likes this.
  2. Dannydet

Dannydet Android Expert

Jan 16, 2016
    Male
    Graphics Manager / Sales
    USA
    No antivirus is needed. Just don't download apks from shoddy websites and I won't comment about your streaming habits

ocnbrze, Unforgiven and mikedt like this.
  3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Yeh, don't use shoddy streaming services that require their own shoddy apps. Those might be monetized by spying on you and stealing all your private data

#3 mikedt, May 21, 2019
    Last edited: May 21, 2019
    ocnbrze and Dannydet like this.
  4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Personally I don't bother with anti-virus/anti-malware apps on my phones but a lot of people feel they are a 'must have' thing, especially those who won't bother to distinguish there are significant differences between the Windows and Android platforms on a fundamental level. I prefer to have my phone using its system resources to do things I want, and not being wasted by some app running several background processes for less than practical reasons.
    It's also a conditional matter, depending on your phone model it can be a major resource hog or completely insignificant. If you have a phone with only 1GB of RAM and an older processor, having some AV app churning away in the background all the time is going to very definitely slow down your phone's usability. If it's a newer processor with 4 or more GBs of RAM having the same thing going on in the background will hardly be noticeable.
    But it is a matter of personal choice, so whether it's necessary or not, it boils down to your own preference. If you go without but it makes you nervous every time you use your phone, than install one off the Play Store, it's better for your own peace of mind.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. harrys56

harrys56 Newbie

I don't think so you need an antivirus for your smartphone. Smartphones have become much more secure now than ever before and you didn't have to worry about the virus.

ocnbrze likes this.