1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

are any of you going to wait it out for the Edge Note 4?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by blackcar, Oct 18, 2014.

1. blackcar

blackcar Well-Known Member

sad for no note 4 yet....with that being said, who here is going to wait on the edge Note 4. I was thinking well i might as well wait for that one instead of getting the note 4. my pre-order has not arrived so the excitement of Friday is gone. does anyone know the timeline for the edge?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Canesfan

Canesfan Android Enthusiast

Went to Verizon yesterday saw and played with the Note Edge. While I thought it was really cool, I didn't really think the feature would impact daily usage one way or another, and was mainly gimmicky.

blackcar likes this.
  3. JimKnuckles

JimKnuckles Android Enthusiast

Agree with the previous post. Just seems kinda gimmicky. Also, I use with my right hand and see that getting in my way. I could see myself accidentally pushing icons

blackcar likes this.
  4. UnimatrixZero

UnimatrixZero Newbie

No, I'm not going to wait, for several reasons...

From comments made by a view reviewers who've held both devices (before either device launch) there was not much difference between the two apart from of course the edge function... It keeps getting reported that the device would have a limited release and is more of a concept phone than major release. at

blackcar likes this.
  5. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

If you are a modder or like using other UI's besides Wiz, you would probably not be happy with the Edge. People are probably kidding themselves if they think the Edge UI is not proprietary. Samsung stated the Edge is part of their "Ecosystem". That seems fancy talk for apps that use the curvy part will be Samsung apps.

blackcar likes this.
  6. nsa_sailor

nsa_sailor Android Enthusiast

Yep. I'm waiting... My update date isn't until February!

7. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

I originally was eyeing the EDGE very seriously,for whatever reason I tend to gravitate towards phones outside the norm. (Motorola Photon/LG G-Flex/OPPO N1)

However,I grew a bit impatient & ordered the NOTE4 on 10/29/14.

Of course, the next day, documents leak showing 11/14/14 as the availability date on T-Mobile.

My phone was supposed to arrive on 10/30/14,but now, a day later,activity is showing up in the UPS tracking system, should arrive this evening.

If not for this, perhaps I'd cancel my order & wait for official news regarding Edge availability.

If I'm still interested in the Edge later on, perhaps I'll pick up a used one from SWAPPA or a refurb from T-Mobile.

The Edge screen definitely has a "cool" factor, but, I suspect development will be severely limited. This & the extra width were enough cause to skip it & go with the NOTE4.

8. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

I've got the note 4 and ordered the edge. Doubt that'll be available for a couple more weeks but I know when I receive it, if I don't use it - I enjoy Nova which doubt will be supported by the edge notifications - I'll sell on ebay.

I've also ordered the VR and doubt that will work on the edge....

9. rushmore

rushmore Extreme Android User

Samsung pretty much stated the Edge would be a non mass produced device and part of their ecosystem, so the combo of less units and proprietary curvy display probably means little dev efforts if any. Not to mention probably locked down.

Android L is likely the death of rooting/modding on "mass scales" as we know it today anyway. You apparently can not even root Lollipop unless the bootloader is unlocked.

Dev device editions need only apply. That and pre Lollipop devices that will retire over the next year or two.

10. bonerp

bonerp Android Expert

theres a huge dev community I bet someone will crack lollipop...maybe not to benefit the edge but if I manage to get one in the UK I bet I can sell it for more than I'll pay for it! :)

11. arche3

arche3 Well-Known Member

Note 4 has bigger screen than the note edge. I'm sticking with note 4. And 4 is slimmer. Not as wide.

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date was October 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Snapdragon 805 processor, and 3220mAh battery.

October 2014
Release Date
Reviews