1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

are app adverts always online?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by eblywheat, Aug 10, 2011.

1. eblywheat

eblywheat Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    UK
    Probably a silly question but...
    When i download and app (usually the free ones) it asks permission for full internet access even though the app is not an online app.
    Does this mean the app is always online because of the adverts? and if so if i turn the wifi off does it use my data roaming internet??

Advertisement

2. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    It's usually using some data (It shouldn't be a lot if its only using it to produce ads but there is a small amount of data usage) when you're using the App in order to produce the ads in the free Apps that include ads. If you are u use wifi to connect to the internet on your phone, then you shouldn't be using any of your data allowance from your carrier. You're only using data allowance when you are connected to mobile data (3G, 4G, etc).

My advice is to use wifi whenever possible to avoid data overages (wifi doesn't affect your data used in any way)... however, make sure you try to use secured wifi networks whenever possible, there is a security vulnerability when using unsecured wifi networks (such as public wifi hotspots, like Starbucks and such). I have a wifi network at home (which is obviously secured), and I disable 3G/4G when I arrive home, and connect to my wifi network. I do this mostly because wifi uses less battery over the long run than mobile data, but for those with data limits it can also limit your data usage to avoid overages.

eblywheat likes this.
  3. eblywheat

eblywheat Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    UK
    Brilliant thanks alot!
    So if i was to buy the version of an app without adverts would this mean none of my data allowance would be used?

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Not necessarily. The app itself could use data. It really depends on the app. Not all apps are identical.

5. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    Yes, assuming that the application does not request internet access. One way you can check is by checking what permissions it requires. When you go to download an app, it takes you to a screen showing you what permission the app is requesting, and if one of them is "Internet access" then you know and can decide at that point if the app is something you still want. Permissions the app has is the only way to truly know whether the app is going to be accessing your mobile internet connection.

The thread below is a great resource for understanding permissions and protecting yourself.

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html

eblywheat likes this.
  6. eblywheat

eblywheat Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2011
    UK
    Does anyone know of any app (if it exists) that i can install that can tell me how much internet i use daily or what apps are using the most data daily etc? (Im on orange i have my accounts but that doesnt really explain alot)

(just to make sure) If i was to turn off all internet access and use apps that needed permissions for internet (but can be used without internet) will i get charged after i turn my internet back on or anything?

sorry if these questions are daft. Just wanna know how much data i will use if im out of range of wifi.