1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Are Apple trying to get the jump on the Nexus 3?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Russ.htchero, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Russ.htchero

Russ.htchero Newbie
    None

Jan 8, 2010
    Telecom Engineer
    England
    With the all important Q3+Q4 did apple plan this court case with a view to not only seeing what Samsung where upto but...where they thinking that Samsung where the creators of the new Nexus? Perhaps they pushed to see the devices hoping that one of the new releases would be the Nexus 3?

With the Iphone 5 probably coming at the turn of the year and with the android devices taking custom from Apple, are they in fear that the Nexus 3 could be the final straw to take Google and Android OS into the new year firmly the market leader.

Its just my thoughts but why target Samsung for copyright infringement?

Advertisement

2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York
    The big rumor is that the Nexus 3 will be developed by LG and hopefully not Samsung.

3. Russ.htchero

Russ.htchero Newbie
    None

Jan 8, 2010
    Telecom Engineer
    England
    Yeah I read that but if Samsung aren't Apple can cancel them out. They can then target advertising etc towards LG mobile sites offer pages. It just feels like Apple have got wind of a Behemoth are sh*ting it.

4. thewhopper

thewhopper Newbie
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    What's wrong with Samsung? Just curious.

I've never owned any of their phones. LG used to make good phones...but that was a few years back. (decades ago in terms of technology..haha)

5. Russ.htchero

Russ.htchero Newbie
    None

Jan 8, 2010
    Telecom Engineer
    England
    My sister has the Galaxy S and she loves it, the screens are impressive compared to the likes of HTC. Harmless must just dislike them.

6. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Well I find it interesting that if Apple don't have the yearly june release, then release a new phone towards the end of the year. That would definitely be to compete with the nexus launch.

7. maggot_ff

maggot_ff Member
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    I was actually really hoping that Samsung were making the next one. :p I have never really fallen for the LG phones, even though they are good. They just never catch my eye. Then again... I'm in love with HTC and Samsung products. :p They just... get it right, again and again. :p

But! On topic! There is probably a reason for apple to want to see Samsung's prototypes. They might have been looking for clues on a quad-core device or something. Apple is not yet threatened by Android devices, but you know how apple acts.. they don't like competition. Not hating on apple, just stating the "facts". :p

8. Dunbar42

Dunbar42 Newbie
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    So Cal
    Given the lead times involved in developing the new iPhone I highly doubt Apple even knew about Nexus 3 when they came up with the release schedule.

9. gunderscorewil

gunderscorewil Well-Known Member
    None

May 5, 2011
    Student
    Atlanta
    The judge is only allowing apple to see "already released" samsung phones........

10. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert
    None

May 22, 2010
    Shenandoah Jct WV
    I personally like Samsung products :)

11. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    The case is potentially a loss for Apple anyway.

You can only copy what you see right? Samsung claims it designed the Galaxy SII to complete with the iPhone 5. That's why it requested to bring out the iPHone 5 as a sample. Since Apple cannot bring out the sample, therefore Samsung has no knowledge what the iPhone 5 looks like, it makes copying impossible. Please note that you cannot have copied a product, if you develop a product that ends up looking similarly to another product if you have no conscious or prior knowledge of that other product. ((The word for this is also called clean room engineering)).

similarity or likeness isn't enough grounds to sue. Otherwise, one author of a vampire book series can sue the author of another vampire series. Or one company can sue another company for coming out with an aerodynamic hybrid. Since the Superman vs. Captain Marvel case, the burden of claim has risen to a point that the offending product must have sufficient likeness that the buyer of it would clearly mistake it as the original. In other words, the buyer has to mistake buying a Galaxy S as an iPhone.

The case has become a farce and a laughing matter, as Apple included the Nexus S, the Samsung Epic and worst of all, the Sidekick 4G. I mean how the hell does the Sidekick 4G look like an iPhone.

Furthermore the Apple claims or patents risk being invalidated by prior art. The Samsung Armani featured a similar physical design to the first IPhone but came out in September of 2007, just three months after the iPhone. Phone development cycles take much longer than that, which means the Armani was already being designed long before the iPhone made its debut. Furthermore, the LG Prada, which the Armani was meant to compete against, came out in January 2007, six months ahead of the iPhone itself. Given the chronological order and the naming, it's clear the Armani was meant to compete against the Prada.

Apple cannot claim that LG Prada copied the iPhone, unless LG has some time machine. The case of prior art can invalidate a patent.

Note, its probably for this reason Apple dare not take LG to court like they did with Samsung, as LG is likely to play the Prada card.

Note. The Prada is already using a capacitive touchscreen. In January 2007.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Prada_(KE850)

Samsung Armani - Full phone specifications

12. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Android Expert
    None

Apr 15, 2010
    Engineer
    New York

I don't like Samsung because they tried to Model there Galaxy line off of an iPhone. The square icons, the 4 icons at the bottom, the app draw that moves left to right instead of up and down, it is just a balent attempt to copy the iPhone (which is why they are in trouble now). And this is besides their terrible "update" history. Samsung does make impressive displays but there quality is no way near HTC's.

13. srs1989

srs1989 Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Residential Counselor II, substance abuse
    Springfield, Oregon
    True. It does look as if though Samsung models the Galaxy S after the iPhone, as far as looks go. iOS and Android, as we all know work quite a bit differently though. :D But to pursuit the Nexus..?

Attached Files: