1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

are carriers blocking tether apps from the market?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by EVO-DROID, Nov 7, 2011.

1. EVO-DROID

EVO-DROID Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    If there is a thread similar please delete mods.

I've had pdanet for some time but when I tried downloading to my wife's phone it wasn't in the market. I had to dl the apk. So are carriers blocking these apps?

Advertisement

2. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Android Expert
    None

Jan 18, 2011
    I just checked the Market, searched “tether” and got no end of apps, including pdanet and Klink, my favorite.

3. UrsusVIIILXXXVII

UrsusVIIILXXXVII Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 14, 2010
    Yes. Carriers do block tethering apps on the market but you can still get those apps from their respective websites.

alostpacket likes this.
  4. EVO-DROID

EVO-DROID Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010

5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Sprint just started blocking as of last week.

The other US carriers have been blocking for some time now. International carriers do not block tethering apps.

alostpacket likes this.
  6. EVO-DROID

EVO-DROID Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010

Well thats unfortunate. I still got the app. I'm not like most and just tether just to do it, or use it as my primary network. However like right now my ISP is down and I have no internet so I have to resort to it. If sprint would just offer the tethering for a one time fee, I'd gladly pay it and they would make money in the process.

7. EVO-DROID

EVO-DROID Member
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Weird, I just searched again. Got klink no pdanet at first. Scrolled to the bottom where it gives you similar apps and boom pdanet.

Anyone use Klink? I might get that for my wife at the intro price.

8. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    How do they block? Something local on the phone saying "dont display these apps"?

Or blocking at a network level? (in which case you should be able to see them when connected to your own wifi)

My inspire shows pdanet in the market and I'm using ATT data right now but I am using cyanogenmod, not the stock os.

9. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    The carriers can tell google to not allow certain apps to be able to be downloaded on to devices that are assigned to them. The market will display "This item is not available on your carrier".

You can get around this by rooting and installing https://market.android.com/details?id=com.notenking.mf

CM7 might have a defaulted market setting, so it shows all apps.

10. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Can carriers tell if you're tethering? I've never tethered, but do plan on getting a tablet soon. Would be nice to check email while on vacation if not hear a hotspot. My phone supports it with any hotspot widget (I have Widgetsoid2 installed which has one). Just wondering if I check email and am tethered for 2-3 minutes, does the carrier know/care? I'm guessing they monitor large amounts of usage (like streaming a movie).

11. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Yes, there are ways they can tell.

An obvious one would be if they saw your android phone connect to "windowsupdate.microsoft.com"

They have much more refined tools than that, but you get the idea.

As far as I know they usually will only chase you down if you are pulling huge amounts of bandwidth.

12. jerofld

None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Verizon had installed spyware onto Droid X's that would monitor if the device was tethering or not and would check against the account to see if they had a tethering plan. Sprint/HTC installed CIQ onto a few of their handsets which seems to monitor a number of things, including tether usage.

A lot of the current strategies seem to revolve around putting the monitoring software on the device, itself, rather than look for it server side. I'd be willing to bet because Google doesn't distinguish tethering as something other than generic data use.

But I would imagine that ALP makes a very good point. If you started looking for windows update from your Android phone or anti-virus definitions, that would look suspicious. But you don't connect your windows laptop? I bet they would also be a little suspicious if your browser user agent said "iPad_2", "Android_Tablet", or a generic Linux user agent and you were pulling some pretty big webpages through your browser. Or connected to the Apple App Store through an Android device. Even the Android Market for tablets is slightly different.

Food for thought.