1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Are custom ROMs safe ?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ptlkmxyz, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Ptlkmxyz

Ptlkmxyz Lurker

Samsung S5360
    I want to update Samsung Galaxy Y from Gingerbread to Jellybean.
    From what I read, it's a simple enough procedure but ..... are all Custom ROMS safe ? Are some better than others ? Do they provide bare-bones Jellybean or do they add unwanted Adware / Bloatware.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert

I think if you download the rom from a reliable place, and install it properly, you should be fine.
    As far as I know, no ROM has bloatware, but some do come with some preinstalled apps (like Terminal Emulator)

3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are many custom ROMs. Some will be bare bones, some will be full of tweaks and apps. If you know a little about them you can remove unwanted apps before installing (2 years ago I ran CyanogenMod stripped to 2/3 size for a couple of months). One person's useful addition can be someone else's bloat ;)

As Mehta says, as long as they are from somewhere with enough of a user community to get reasonable feedback I'd not worry about safety really. I'd pay more attention to stability and support myself, which is where reading the ROM's development thread is useful.

funkylogik and ocnbrze like this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

moved the conversation to the android lounge.

yeah i have never seen any issues with custom roms and malware or security issues. i do not even blink an eye when it comes to custom roms. just do some research on the dev and see if he/she is legit or not. my phones so far have been blessed with great dev support.

funkylogik and Rxpert83 like this.
  5. Davdi

Davdi Android Expert

I've not had any problems wit custim ROMs on my Wildfire S. Now my Xperia U is out of warranty, It'll be getting a custom ROM soon. I've unlocked the bootloader, and I'm currently using th german

6. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Main thing to be careful about is flashing a rom that is definately built for your EXACT carrier/model :thumbup:

palmtree5 and ocnbrze like this.
  7. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert

Even though every S4, One, Nexus, etc look alike they don't all perform or behave the same way with custom software. Its an individual experience or has been for me over the years. Just be sure to read the ROM thread completely, be aware of any known issues or things would make the ROM unsuited for your daily needs. While bleeding edge is cool its all irrelevant if your device doesn't do what you need it to.
    So do your due diligence and find the best possible software for your needs. Established "brands" such as CM, PA, AOKP, Slimbean etc can be good choices because of the massive support in the community. Happy flashing.
    :thumbup:

funkylogik and ocnbrze like this.
  8. Ptlkmxyz

Ptlkmxyz Lurker

Thanks for the advice guys .....

9. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

One last thing.... MAKE A RECOVERY BACKUP once you have CWM/TWRP installed before you flash ANYTHING. A kernel soft bricked me the other day and without my phone, i have no internet. The zip of my current kernel failed to flash! Scary!
    My backup saved me :)

Hadron and ocnbrze like this.
  10. Mandroid7

Mandroid7 Newbie

My suggestion would be to not only get the ROM from a reliable source, but also to make sure that is NOT in BETA. In other words, make sure that you install a stable ROM.

11. !on

!on Android Expert

I trust the devs not to push malicious roms at us, they are mostly doing it as enthusiasts & for free, though donations are welcome so they can continue their work. Custom roms may contain a few tiny insignificant bugs that don

12. badblue1

badblue1 * TRUCKS ARE BEAUTIFUL *

Just F.Y.I.... I'm still using an old (3+years) LG Optimus V and i have flashed quite a few roms, usually when i first flash a rom it tends to be a little buggy with poor battery life and performance, but not to be discouraged, after a few reboots and a couple of days, the rom tightens up and all is well. :) I don't know if it's the same with newer devices or not. I'm just saying i notice a lot of members get discouraged the first day after flashing because of poor performance and battery life, if it's a quality rom it always gets better with age and several reboots.

As always backup before you flash!
    Once you get your new rom setup the way you want, go into recovery and make a nandroid backup of it, that way if anything goes wrong or you delete something you shouldn't have, you can just restore your backup.

EDIT : Just noticed this is an old thread, oh well ;)

ocnbrze likes this.