1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Are Folders on SD card or internal memory?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by tombiker, Dec 22, 2011.

1. tombiker

tombiker Lurker

My wife just bought me a LG Optimus Chat model C555 phone, Android 2.2.2, the sales person installed a 2GB microSD card in the phone. I took 2 pictures of my cat using the new phone, then connected the phone via USB cable to my XP computer to look at the file structure of the phone and SD card. What the file structure for F: storage for the phone was 7 Folders...

.android_secure
    Android
    bluetooth
    DCIM
    download
    LGPCsuiteIV
    LOST.DIR

The Properties says that Removable Disk (F:) is
    144MB Used, 1.69GB Free

Now for my question.
    Are these Folders on the 2GB microSD -or- in internal memory?
    I want to be able to take a lot of pictures with my new phone and was thinking of buying a new 16GB micro-card but if these Folders listed are on that 2GB card, will installing a new 16GB card leave the phone without those Folders? Will I lose anything by replacing that 2GB card with a new 16GB?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

It appears to be reading the 2G microSD card. There should be a setting in the camera app to choose storing photos on the internal memory or external microSD.

To avoid losing anything just copy everything from the 2G card to your computer then transfer everything to the new 16G card.

tombiker and Granite1 like this.
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

Welcome to the forums!!! :D

That is a list of what is on your sd card.
    When you connect your phone to the pc it only allows access to the sd card, for a slew of different reasons.
    Now you can gain access to the phone memory using adb but that's a little more difficult, and we won't get into that here.

4. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast

Watch out for a virtual SD, some phones have them. On my wife's LG thrill there is a 5gb virtual-sd partition of the phone that is the SD card to the android os. There's also an sd slot with an 8gb card in it. The 8gb actual card isn't used for anything on hers, it all goes to the 5gb virtual sd. Actual sd is mounted in a folder of the virtual sd.

It looks like from your post yours is just the traditional android way, physical sd card is the sd to the OS, no virtual sd on the phone.

Granite1 likes this.