• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Are headphone jacks actually standart?

frusciante54

Oct 7, 2016
My phone's headphone jack is a little bit different. My previous phone didn't have any problems with headphones. But in this new phone, it's different.

When I try to plug a normal earbud which doesn't have any mic/button on it it was a bit tough go plug it in. But other than that, no problem.
Now I have a new earbud with a button and a microphone and when I plug it in and accidentally touch the headphone jack, it acts as if I touched the button on the earbud. And it's because the original earbud that came with the phone had a plastic material that prevented this situation. Like this :

image.png

(See that little red circle? That's the plastic I'm talking about)

The earbud that I use, like most of the other earbuds, doesn't have anything like that :

IMG_20170521_213642.jpg

So, why did they design the headphone jack like this? Why does it need a plastic red circle to prevent this from happening? Because I've tried this earbud with my previous phone and moved the headphone jack, nothing happened. Some people recommended taping that part, I'll give it a try. But I'm just curious. What's the deal here? Thank you.

(Phone : General Mobile GM5 Plus)

Reactions: dontpanicbobby
I would guess that that little red ring is because the plug has a metal surround and so they need to insulate the jack from it - though for that purpose it has no need to be so deep.

The actual jack socket on the phone certainly ought to be a standard part. Does the socket have a plastic ring around the inside to insulate the plug from the frame of the phone (which looks like it is metal in the photos I've found)? If not it might be shorting with the phone's frame when you touch it, which could be the explanation.

I had an old iPod once where some headphones would short against the metal case of the player (where the headphones had an exposed metal ring at the base of the plug, which was a similar width to the insulation of the socket). I solved that by putting a bit of clear tape over the iPod's case around the socket - something I'd forgotten about until I read this post.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones