1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

are links2sd and titanium backup the same for app moving?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sushifor5, Sep 1, 2011.

1. sushifor5

sushifor5 Android Enthusiast

I am considering rooting my phone (reading everything I can on it...very helpful posters here!).

I've read about moving apps to the sd card, which i want to do. can i do so with Titanium backup or do i need links2sd? i'm not really clear on how either of those work, but keep seeing them mentioned in threads.

TIA for any input/explanations!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AndyOpie150

AndyOpie150 <strong> <a href="http://androidforums.com/optimus

sushifor5 likes this.
  3. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

Titanium Backup doesn't move apps, it can uninstall system apps and freeze them (a good idea to freeze something before uninstalling it to make sure it won't adversely effect your Optimus V).

Link2SD uses a 2nd partition on your uSD card to move your apps there. It puts a shortcut or link on your internal memory. Other than a slower boot time, you shouldn't notice any difference in performance. The benefit of this is that it frees up a good deal of internal memory.

[​IMG]

sushifor5 likes this.
  4. AmishFury

AmishFury Well-Known Member

actually titanium backup does have the ability to move apps

it requires more steps to make it work with the stock rom than link2sd because titanium backup requires the 2nd partition be in ext format while link2sd supports FAT and the stock rom does not have any ext support... you need to at least flash a kernel with ext support (which you may want to consider anyway since the recoveries i've tried don't seem to want to backup the 2nd partition if it's FAT)

MacFett and sushifor5 like this.
  5. sushifor5

sushifor5 Android Enthusiast

Thanks for the info! A question...you wrote about Link2SD, but the screenshot shows App2SD...are these the same thing?

So i'm getting the impression that TB and links2sd have different functions and I would want them both? or not?

Thanks again!

6. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

Link2SD and App2SD are two different apps. I use the screen shot for App2SD because I like the GUI for it it better to show off the number of app and the available space.

This is Link2SD
    [​IMG]

I suggest both Link2SD and Titanium Backup (paid).

sushifor5 likes this.
  7. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

Thanks for the info Amish.

LG Optimus V Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews