1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Are random reboots normal?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Anthony2816, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Anthony2816

Anthony2816 Well-Known Member

Just wondering how widespread this problem is. Since rooting and installing Superclean 2.9, I've been getting at least a dozen spontaneous reboots a day, mostly when at idle. (The only way I know about those is by seeing all the dumpstate logs in the root folder).

It's thus a mostly innocuous problem unless I happen to be using the phone when it happens, although sometimes it puts the phone into Safe Mode, which requires me to turn off the phone and restart it to get back to normal.

So is this something I should pursue further, or just accept as one of those "normal" problems like trying to get the GPS to lock on in a timely manner?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. s44

s44 Android Enthusiast

Corrupted /dbdata... Wipe every partition (EXCEPT SDCARD!!!) from CWM, Odin back to stock (with a pit file and repartition option if you're paranoid), and start over. Sorry.

Remember to let your kernel do the voodoo conversion (if, as I assume, you're using it) *before* restoring all your apps.

3. Anthony2816

Okay, let's try this with small words, and please type slowly.

I reboot into Clockwork...and there I should find a way to wipe every partition (how many are there?)...probably I should remove my SD card first?

Find myself a stock Verizon file, use Odin to install it. I am paranoid, but also ignorant, so I don't know what a pit file is, nor a repartition option.

Yes, I am using Voodoo...but what does "let your kernel do the conversion" mean? I just used a version of SC 2.9 that had Voodoo built in.

As far as restoring my apps, will Titanium backup take care of that? Or am I going to have to reinstall them all, one by one?

(Um, why do I have to Odin the stock Verizon file, and then root/install SC? Why can't I just install the latter after wiping the phone's memory?)

4. Gevis

Gevis Android Enthusiast

Personally, I would do a factory wipe, cache wipe, dalvik cache wipe, then I would Odin 2.9.2.

Or you can just try re- Odining 2.9.

I had some wonky CWM errors that were keeping me from being able to flash stuff, and I just Odind 2.9.2 and it was fine.

You shouldn't have any (let alone 12) reboots a day. I think I've had 1 since I put 2.9 on it 2 or 3 weeks ago.

[Odin] Froyo leaked packaged custom ROMs w/root and clockwork **UPDATED**3/25 - Android Forums

I used that page.

5. tbeas

tbeas Well-Known Member

I used to have this problem. I updated to 2.9.2 and haven't had it since. Also, before I was using the VA Green theme, but now I'm not. Were you using a theme?

Also, I all I did was wipe cache, data, and dalvik. No Odin or anything.

6. Anthony2816

No, no theme, but I am using ADW Launcher.

What is "dalvik"?

7. nklenchik

nklenchik Android Enthusiast

Under clockwork, go under advanced...dalvik cache. When you flash a new rom you typically wipe data and dalvik cache.

8. Anthony2816

Okay, thanks for all the help here.

There are still a few questions from my second post in this thread that I'm unclear on...

9. smauldin

smauldin Newbie

Will clearing everything out also fix the bluetooth issues? I just started having problems with the bluetooth disconnnecting and then not reconnecting to my Plantronics Pro+.

10. seanatsb

seanatsb Well-Known Member

I believe that for some phones, the random reboots are inevitable with superclean. I've been getting them with every version for Froyo. Finally, before i put on 2.92, I odin'd back to stock froyo. Then odin'd CWM. Then flashed 2.92. I still get on average, one random reboot per day among some other consistent problems, like the wifi not turning on until i reboot the phone.

Some say, that even with wiping data and cache that there still could some problems, and that odin back to stock EB01 would fix this, however it did not fix it for me, and I'm stuck with random reboots and freezes even with 2.92.

Samsung Fascinate Forum

The Samsung Fascinate release date was Q3 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

Q3 2010
Release Date
Reviews