• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are Smartphones a gimmick if so why and if not why?

Are Smartphones a gimmick?

• Yes

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 48 98.0%

• Total voters
Well to be a gimmick it had to de some lie or deceit but these phone are true power house mini computer in the palm of your hand,you can't put a cheap basic flip phone in the same class but not all smart phone live up to all the hype,(palm pre and storm).

Please don't group the pre with the storm. The storm was a ridiculously over-hyped pos. The pre really wasn't all that over hyped and webOS still has features I would die to see in my new evo. I would never recommend the pre with all the android options out there but it wasn't a bad phone.

Upvote 0
Smartphones are the logical progression of wireless technology.

Some apps/functions mmay be considered gimicky however functions such as:

-Email
-Web Browsing
-Audio streaming
-TV streaming
-Mass storage and music playback
-iTunes/Amazon MP3 stores
-Social networking (Twitter, Facebook)
-Cloud sync
-Calendar sync
-Instant free messengers
-Good quality cameras
-Google Maps/Nav

are far from gimiky

Upvote 0
Were the original computers gimmicks? Wireless? HD TV? 3DTV? (OK, I'll give you that one)
Will nanoquantum computers be a gimmick?

No, smart phones are just part of the evolution of technology. If you think they might be because all of the things they can do, well we don't need mobile phones as a whole, we managed for hundreds of thousands of years without them just fine.

Upvote 0
Smartphones are a great example of the evolution of mobile communications and computing. I've been using smartphones since before the category was created. Beginning with a BlackBerry for business, it became apparent early on, just how useful they are for my highly mobile lifestyle.

Today a smartphone is a regular part of my must have devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones